Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > Networking

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 28, 2010, 10:10 AM
Top Prospect
F@H

Default Need a router/ap/server solution

for the past 2 years I went thru a dir-655, a wrt54gl and right now running on a wl520(dd-wrt). All of them have trouble staying alive as soon as anyone run p2p application(be it downloading stuff.... streaming video or patching games). I used to run a windows 2003 SBS server and used that as router but the bloody server is too big(it's a dell tower server with dual cpu xeon with dual psu). I personally do not wish to use ICS function.

Also tried to explore mikrotik's route but I can't seem to get the damm thing to work on teksavvy!

network size:
4 desktop(1 htpc, 1 always on), 2 laptop(1 always on steaming video.... wireless)
ps3, wii on wireless, 360
1 wired surveillance system

So right now I have a Q6600 sleeping beside me.... and I want to turn that into the router/server solution, but I don't know what operating system should I go after...

what I need:
- NAT, firewall, MLPPP
- Wireless (I have a wlan card with master mode)
- QoS (best if I can use speed limit like the one in mikrotik)
- Asterisk
- VPN server
- ability to run a few VM

I tried explore windows 2008 but I can't seem to get wireless ap working, and I thought of running linux route but the amount of distro avb. is very overwhelming and I got no clue which one can fit my need. I have very limited linux knowledge but I think I can get by.
Old February 28, 2010, 11:15 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Why not just get a decent DD-WRT router and then just use this PC + Server 2008 for running your VMs?

I have the ASUS RT-N16 with the latest BrainSlayer-V24-preSP2 build and it's been running like a champ. I do run torrents as well, but not like I can get a ton of connections with only 5Mbps/800Kbps. Don't think DD-WRT supports MLPPP (if your using single link, maybe dual-link tho), so you'd probably have to look into Tomato.

pfSense is a great router distribution based on FreeBSD. Doesn't need that kind of computer though, and it doesn't support MLPPP.
Old February 28, 2010, 11:40 AM
Top Prospect
F@H

windows 2008 is not licensed for production environment, my WRT54-GL was using DD-WRT and WL520GU is running tomato

Problem is the router can barely handle p2p, if I drop a vpn line or try to use VOIP on top the unit just gives up. I am aware DSL are not full duplex but I am nowhere to 50% of the line speed(of the speed test) I tried to limit connections and it may work(with very high cpu load). Due to there are constant load 24/7/365 I suspect these stuff gives in faster then normal. By the time these add up I can purchase a low end computer(yes I am aware of the high power consumption but that's why I try to merge all these function under 1 box.)

and btw.. I recall reading in DSLR that dd-wrt is supporting mlppp on beta(or there is a workaround..... don't remember)
Old February 28, 2010, 12:44 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Well the RT-N16 is a pretty beefy router, 128MB RAM, 480MHz CPU, 32MB Flash. So if DD-WRT does what you want, I think the RT-N16 could handle the load, or a router with similar specs.

However I think your just asking for a little too much out of a DSL line. Sounds like you've got a business going basically, so maybe it's time to look into some better Internet options.

I suppose another choice would be to run like VMWare ESX on the Q6600 and have a bunch of various VM "appliances" on there performing each function.
Old February 28, 2010, 10:11 PM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdrom17 View Post
Well the RT-N16 is a pretty beefy router, 128MB RAM, 480MHz CPU, 32MB Flash. So if DD-WRT does what you want, I think the RT-N16 could handle the load, or a router with similar specs.

However I think your just asking for a little too much out of a DSL line. Sounds like you've got a business going basically, so maybe it's time to look into some better Internet options.

I suppose another choice would be to run like VMWare ESX on the Q6600 and have a bunch of various VM "appliances" on there performing each function.

Agreed but also seriously check out Xenserver 5.5 or Proxmox, both excellent bare metal Hypervisors.

Intel i7-2600K @ 4.8Ghz
Asus Sabertooth Z77
16GB G.Skill Ripjaws Z (1866MhZ CAS9)
NZXT Kraken X60 CPU Cooler
2x Sandisk Extreme 240GB SSD (RAID 0)
Seagate 7200.12 500gig HD
Galaxy GTX660Ti 3GB
LG DVDR
NZXT Phantom 630 Case
Antec TruPower New 750W Power Supply