Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > Networking

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 23, 2010, 07:51 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Default I've realized I'm network dumb!

It used to be SO easy to setup back in the 3.11 to Win2K days but it appears I haven't been keeping up since and I should really make an attempt to educate myself to save myself a lot of wasted time and aggravation. Can someone recommend me a book on the subject? I don't need to get into anything fancy, just basic file sharing is all I really need... mapping drives and such.

Try not to point and laugh too hard!
EVGA GTX 280 (SC?)
OCZ Gamer Xtreme 600W PSU
Cooler Master Cosmos on water
Old February 23, 2010, 08:26 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Well, lets say my computer name is "Perineum" according to the system in control panel.

I would right click on a folder I want to share and then select 'share'. Lets say it was "pr0n" and I chose to share it under the same name.

Go to the other computer, open up IE and type in the address bar \\Perineum\pr0n (Works pretty much exactly like this but one extra step in Win7 and possibly Vista)

A new window will open with the contents of the shared "pr0n" drawer that is on the remote computer.

If you wanted to map the drive instead of having to manually type it out you would go to "My Computer" and select "Map Network Drive" or go to tools menu then select "Map Network Drive" (depending on the OS) and once the mapping drive interface pops up you would assign it a letter ("P" drive for pr0n!) and then type in for the folder address: \\Perineum\pr0n

Also, it's worth to note that if you're using static IP you could also do: \\192.168.1.69\pr0n

That's really the process, but it differs depending on what OS you're using (IE: WinXP/Vista/Win7) and how secure you want it.... Simple unsecured (no wireless here!) networks at home aren't all that hard to do...
Old February 23, 2010, 08:56 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Used to be that easy for me but that doesn't work anymore... just comes up access denied. All permissions are set to full access. Well that's the issue I'm dealing with now. Each computer can see the drives I mapped previously which took a few days worth of buggering around with help from members here to get going. I've since added a drive in each PC but can't get those going either way. AFAICT the per missions and clients are set exactly the same as the drives that work. I've wasted a couple evenings on this now and I've seen enough.

I get odd stuff like this on the few networks I use. On my office network my computer can't 'see' any other computers on the network when exploring network or what ever but at least I can access the stuff manually using the methods you described. The list goes on.... but it since I started dealing with XP (and above) it has never been as simple as make the workgroup names the same, share your drive in explorer and give 'everyone' full access, then go to the other machine and map the drive in explorer, and you're done.

Obviously an IDtenT issue because theres no way there's that many issues on over a dozen machines that have had issues re-sharing drives after upgrades etc. on three completely separate networks. Something I'm doing for sure.
EVGA GTX 280 (SC?)
OCZ Gamer Xtreme 600W PSU
Cooler Master Cosmos on water
Old February 24, 2010, 03:05 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Well what OS(s) are you dealing with now? My network here runs WinXP/Vista/Win7 and no problems.....
Old February 24, 2010, 05:15 AM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

I tend to have a same user ID and password on each of my computers. On each machine, I add the specific user name on the permissions list. This seems to work for any wonky access issues I have.
Fold for team #54196
Old February 24, 2010, 05:24 AM
Allstar
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriskwarren View Post
I tend to have a same user ID and password on each of my computers. On each machine, I add the specific user name on the permissions list. This seems to work for any wonky access issues I have.
That's the best way to have it. Vista/7 are a lot stricter when it comes to network access.

Old February 24, 2010, 05:51 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

I must say, I had a hard time just like you. The difference is that I had no prior experience in networking.

My acess denied problem in windows 7 and vista (even if the drive were seen on the network) was the fact that they had no password and user account installed. Window 7 and Vista refused to go into a computer on the network without an account and password (NOT BLANK!) . The only helpfull message I got from Win 7 was : Acess Denied, please contact the administrator ! No amount of shouting that I was him made my computer change its mind.

Finally, I never found a book or anything, my best friend was google and general inquiry. If you need help, be specific and I am sure someone will help you here.

Sold hardware again.....
Currently using WHS hardware....
Old February 24, 2010, 06:14 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by biff View Post
Used to be that easy for me but that doesn't work anymore... just comes up access denied. All permissions are set to full access. Well that's the issue I'm dealing with now. Each computer can see the drives I mapped previously which took a few days worth of buggering around with help from members here to get going. I've since added a drive in each PC but can't get those going either way. AFAICT the per missions and clients are set exactly the same as the drives that work. I've wasted a couple evenings on this now and I've seen enough.

I get odd stuff like this on the few networks I use. On my office network my computer can't 'see' any other computers on the network when exploring network or what ever but at least I can access the stuff manually using the methods you described. The list goes on.... but it since I started dealing with XP (and above) it has never been as simple as make the workgroup names the same, share your drive in explorer and give 'everyone' full access, then go to the other machine and map the drive in explorer, and you're done.

Obviously an IDtenT issue because theres no way there's that many issues on over a dozen machines that have had issues re-sharing drives after upgrades etc. on three completely separate networks. Something I'm doing for sure.
I have yet to figure out Windows 7 & Vista sharing myself. However, I do know how to overcome the problem you are having.

Here is an example:

Computer 1
Name: Desktop
User: JDoe

Computer 2
Name: HTPC
User: MovieMan

When connection to computer 1 when prompted for username and password ensure you supply the "domain" (computer name) of the account.

So if connecting to Desktop from HTPC when prompted for credentials you would add:
Username: Desktop\JDoe
Password: xxxxxx

That will log you into the computer using the JDoe account from the local box.

Here is Microsofts babble:
File sharing essentials
Old February 24, 2010, 07:09 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

yeah, that is it, and remember in Win7 Blank password does not work. It took me some time to figure that one out....

Sold hardware again.....
Currently using WHS hardware....
Old February 24, 2010, 07:52 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDogg View Post
I have yet to figure out Windows 7 & Vista sharing myself. However, I do know how to overcome the problem you are having.

Here is an example:

Computer 1
Name: Desktop
User: JDoe

Computer 2
Name: HTPC
User: MovieMan

When connection to computer 1 when prompted for username and password ensure you supply the "domain" (computer name) of the account.

So if connecting to Desktop from HTPC when prompted for credentials you would add:
Username: Desktop\JDoe
Password: xxxxxx

That will log you into the computer using the JDoe account from the local box.

Here is Microsofts babble:
File sharing essentials
Oh man I am so trying this tonight as I think this is exactly my problem. I am Vista/XP and damned if I can connect the two machines! Oh and Biff... the term is Netwrok Moron and I currently hold this title.

Desktop:
See the drop down!

Laptop: Dell XPS M1530 \\ T7500 2.2GHz \\ 3GB 667 \\ 6 Cell \\ 8600M GT \\ 200GB 7.2K \\ WSXGA+ \\ Bluetooth/Wireless \\ MS Blue Track Mini \\ Vista Ult. (RED)

HEATWARE