Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > Networking

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 20, 2010, 09:10 AM
Rookie

My System Specs

I have done all the troubleshooting. unplugged the router and done all that :( .. i work later in the day and get home late and i want to check email and i watch my recorded shows from my tv tuner. I asked them about the tv tuner doing any thing to my internet and they checked the modem and checked their side and said there was no problems :( the wireless on my router is turned off and the antenna is taken off so it does not work well for wireless without the antenna.

My bandwith is normal :( I checked my router and it has a password i put on it and it was 19 characters long with letters, numbers, and special characters. I did change the password to something with the same security level :D 20 characters. I dont think that was the problem.. I am on the 3rd floor in my parents place and i cannot see my wireless signal from any floor but mine. and when wireless is turned on its set not to display a brodcast to the public .. but it is turned off, and will remain so..

I am trying to get them to come and check my router from my side or replace it but so far they have said its not necessary. I dont know what to think.. lol its so annoying

I think they are just ignoring the problem.

Last edited by shockthebox; February 20, 2010 at 09:19 AM.
Old February 20, 2010, 09:40 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Default Shaired ? IP ?

They may be Shairing on the server end becaause the dont have enough adresseess go up a few levels and talk to someone and see it your IP is shaired. Some one on the same IP as you is locking you out.
Old February 20, 2010, 09:44 AM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZZLEE View Post
They may be Shairing on the server end becaause the dont have enough adresseess go up a few levels and talk to someone and see it your IP is shaired. Some one on the same IP as you is locking you out.
That would be a severe p-off......
Fold for team #54196
Old February 20, 2010, 10:31 AM
Allstar
F@H

I had an issue like that with my ISP and what happened is they added new IP addresses, but forgot to make them available to their DHCP server so it wasn't handing them out and nobody could get an IP and therefore no traffic. When this happens does your modem lose lights or anything? Are you running your own router or is it provided by Cogego? Either way check the ip it has when this downtime occurs.

Old February 20, 2010, 11:58 AM
MVP
F@H

I think your g/f's cat has a nap on the modem every night, causing it to overheat and disconnect.

But seriously, if I put anything on top of my router it does overheat and disconnect. Just a thought. Check the physical environment and rule that out.

Last edited by KeepSix; February 20, 2010 at 12:04 PM.
Old February 20, 2010, 12:26 PM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeepSix View Post
I think your g/f's cat has a nap on the modem every night, causing it to overheat and disconnect.

But seriously, if I put anything on top of my router it does overheat and disconnect. Just a thought. Check the physical environment and rule that out.
I knew it!!!!

Fold for team #54196
Old February 20, 2010, 12:33 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

My router is nice and cool . as for the sharing thing that is interesting :P but if i am on with the ip address already why would i be bumped shouldnt the new one not be able to take mine ? .. I dont know I will call and complain again :D