Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > Networking

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 19, 2010, 04:28 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Default Connexion issues

Hey guys,

I just received my ADSL modem, a TPlink TD-8816, plugged it directly with my computer and directly to Bell's splitter in my house mech. room but...no dice! The LAN light is on, the power light is on (obviously) but nothing on the ADSL light, which the Teksavvy tech told me is THE most important one to have working.

The tech had me setting up the modem as bridge since it will be connected to my WRT54GL (well, I'm guessing that's why), entered my username in the modem GUI (**********@teksavvy.com + my password) yet nothing would happen...

The tech opened a no-sync ticket with Bell since I first thought I had no Bell line inside (he had told me to find red and green wires, which I could'nt find , afterward my brother did find them anyways...I plugged the modem directly into the splitter)

Anyone ever had the same issues because I only have 1 month left with Videocrap and would like to have this new connexion going soon
Old February 19, 2010, 04:34 PM
Banned
F@H

before .... do you install a filter betwen your modem and the phone line. those filter go on the phone not on the modem.

My friend I can't count anymore the number of time I go for a service call to someone who just get Bell dsl to discover they forget to make the connection to the local central who feed your house. A missing module ot install. if the dsl light do not work . it's because you have no dsl line..
Old February 19, 2010, 04:58 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamb View Post
Hey guys,

I just received my ADSL modem, a TPlink TD-8816, plugged it directly with my computer and directly to Bell's splitter in my house mech. room but...no dice! The LAN light is on, the power light is on (obviously) but nothing on the ADSL light, which the Teksavvy tech told me is THE most important one to have working.

The tech had me setting up the modem as bridge since it will be connected to my WRT54GL (well, I'm guessing that's why), entered my username in the modem GUI (**********@teksavvy.com + my password) yet nothing would happen...

The tech opened a no-sync ticket with Bell since I first thought I had no Bell line inside (he had told me to find red and green wires, which I could'nt find , afterward my brother did find them anyways...I plugged the modem directly into the splitter)

Anyone ever had the same issues because I only have 1 month left with Videocrap and would like to have this new connexion going soon
When you say bell splitter what exactly do you mean? You should have Phone Line directly from wall socket (or Dmark) to the Modem then Ethernet from Modem to Computer/Router..

I have you exact setup.. Here is how mine is setup:

In the modem settings make sure you have vc0 selected (at least thats what I have)

Here is a pic:

And then in the Basic setting of the WRT54GL I have my DSL username and password. If you have MLPP your username should be @wiredhighspeed.com and not @teksavvy.net.
Old February 19, 2010, 05:32 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkOne View Post
before .... do you install a filter betwen your modem and the phone line. those filter go on the phone not on the modem.

My friend I can't count anymore the number of time I go for a service call to someone who just get Bell dsl to discover they forget to make the connection to the local central who feed your house. A missing module ot install. if the dsl light do not work . it's because you have no dsl line..
I see a Bell line connected to a black thing (that's the filter i'm gonna guess???) with 5 golden screws (4 in square , 1 in the middle) in my mech room with a blue wire and a white wire connected at 2 of the corner screws and a bigger white/beige wire going from there to a splitter (man the wiring in this mech room is such a mess...I can hardly explain how everything else is working in this house or how it hasnt caugh fire yet...);

where you plug the DSL line on one side then you can split the line to have a phone and a modem connected to it.
Old February 19, 2010, 05:36 PM
Banned
F@H

the black thing is not a filter it's the fuse box ....
Old February 19, 2010, 05:40 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
the black thing is not a filter it's the fuse box ....
What the filter should be looking like?

EDIT : oh well, that's what I've been calling a splitter the whole time =_=

So uhh ya I'm guessing I have a filter installed.

@ Bigdogg

I have my settings exactly like you said and no connexion still, tried with both @wiredhighspeed and @teksavvy, same result, nothing...
Old February 19, 2010, 05:44 PM
Hall Of Fame

you need a filter (a small box) on every phone (and fax) line in the house. or else you will not get any adsl connection to the isp.

markone, that's probably a filter. they have splitter boxes like those with which you can plug in a modem and phone line.

http://img.alibaba.com/photo/11033358/ADSL_Filter_And_Splitter.jpg

to the OP - disconnect every phone line in the house, then try to connect your modem (through the filter or not is up to you)
Old February 19, 2010, 05:51 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarkStarr View Post
you need a filter (a small box) on every phone (and fax) line in the house. or else you will not get any adsl connection to the isp.

markone, that's probably a filter. they have splitter boxes like those with which you can plug in a modem and phone line.

http://img.alibaba.com/photo/11033358/ADSL_Filter_And_Splitter.jpg
In house the phone is on Videotron's circuit (I'm guessing here...) since there's a cable going from the modem plug to the Videotron's modem. I plug the TPlink TD-8816 cable in the 2nd plug (named phone plug...that's may be why, dunno if it makes a difference.)

I have 4 phone in the house but only 1 is plugged on the phone line since all others are wireless.

Quote:
to the OP - disconnect every phone line in the house, then try to connect your modem (through the filter or not is up to you)
okies
Old February 19, 2010, 05:56 PM
Banned
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamb View Post
In house the phone is on Videotron's circuit (I'm guessing here...) since there's a cable going from the modem plug to the Videotron's modem. I plug the TPlink TD-8816 cable in the 2nd plug (named phone plug...that's may be why, dunno if it makes a difference.)

I have 4 phone in the house but only 1 is plugged on the phone line since all others are wireless.

okies

you plug the DSL modem on the phone plug of the Videotron thing..not surprise it will not work.. do you have a Bell phone line in the house ..if so you have to run a wire from the black box with brass stud to the dsl modem, but you need a phone line with bell, tech savy have probably check it before give you an account.... you need a Bell tech to fix your mess, or someone who know

Quote:

the black ( bakelite ) box with 5 brass stud is the fuse box of Bell

Old February 19, 2010, 06:12 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
you plug the DSL modem on the phone plug of the Videotron thing..not surprise it will not work.. do you have a Bell phone line in the house ..if so you have to run a wire from the black box with brass stud to the dsl modem, but you need a phone line with bell, tech savy have probably check it before give you an account.... you need a Bell tech to fix your mess, or someone who know

the black ( bakelite ) box with 5 brass stud is the fuse box of Bell.
My brother just told me there's no filter. The little white box with phone/modem is just a splitter to which the home security is plugged to.

Things I see;

- A big brass cable marked Bell going into the GE Panel (the big grey box with breakers)
- From this brass cable, there's a retention-ring like thing from which a beige cable goes to the bakelite, like you call it.
- From the bakelite, there's 2 wires (blue and white) coming from a bigger black cable which is going outside the house, to which there is 2 other wires (red and orange) not connected to anything.

- No filter, just a splitter for security purpose and Videotron's phone line, to which is connected a bunch of wires, red and green are going to the splitter, and there seems to be a BUNCH of other cable and wires going everywhere in the house, probably for phones everywhere in the house...

There should be a Bell line in here, heck the house is probably 30 years old...

Anyways, Teksavvy's Tech. Support should made a No-Sync ticket so I will probably be getting a Bell Tech. to come here and see what's not working or I'll try to get a phone tech to make this work...

Last edited by Lamb; February 19, 2010 at 06:18 PM.