Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > Networking

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 19, 2010, 07:16 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamb View Post
My brother just told me there's no filter. The little white box with phone/modem is just a splitter to which the home security is plugged to.

Things I see;

- A big brass cable marked Bell going into the GE Panel (the big grey box with breakers)
- From this brass cable, there's a retention-ring like thing from which a beige cable goes to the bakelite, like you call it.
- No filter, just a splitter for security purpose and Videotron's phone line

There should be a Bell line in here, heck the house is probably 30 years old...

Anyways, Teksavvy's Tech. Support should made a No-Sync ticket so I will probably be getting a Bell Tech. to come here and see what's not working or I'll try to get a phone tech to make this work...
Can you open that GE panel? You have to find bell phone box coming into the house. It will have some pairs that you can hook up wires to to get a dial tone. If you take a picture I can explain. You should try and follow that wire to a phone jack and try plugging the modem in there. You could try plugging the modem into every phone jack in the house looking for the adsl light to come on,
Old February 19, 2010, 07:41 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Well after opening the GE panel, the brass cable is just getting grounded in there.

Also, I looked very carefully while at it, and it seems that the black cable connected to the bakelite is connected to nothing else. (well I may be wrong, my brother is trying to find a plug...so there may be one) The blue wire seems to be the 60V ( @ 54V from a fluke...) and the white the ground, so I'm guessing the black cable is only for power (unless I'm wrong) so there may not be any Bell signal into the house...
Old February 19, 2010, 07:42 PM
Banned
F@H

lamp the black box is the main fuse box of Bell, the brass cable that run to your electrical box is the ground ( DO NOT OPEN THE GE box, nothing to help there)
now it's normal the orange are not connected , you have only one line, if you have a multimeter, try to see if you have voltage betwen the blue and the white , if so , you will need to plug the modem there, of course you will need to install a phone connector outlet for that. but honestly you need a phone line .
Old February 19, 2010, 07:43 PM
Banned
F@H

Quote:
Well after opening the GE panel, the brass cable is just getting grounded in there.

Also, I looked very carefully while at it, and it seems that the black cable connected to the bakelite is connected to nothing else. (well I may be wrong, my brother is trying to find a plug...so there may be one) The blue wire seems to be the 60V ( @ 54V from a fluke...) and the white the ground, so I'm guessing the black cable is only for power (unless I'm wrong) so there may not be any Bell signal into the house...

so if the blue have 60 volts the phone line is activated, you need to plug your modem there, run a wire from there to a phone jack , and plug the modem in the phone jack
Old February 19, 2010, 07:58 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Ok, I have a plug that is wired to Videotron that I could use/cut the wire.

There's 4 wires in the cable; Red, Green, Yellow, Black >>> which one do I plug with the blue and which one with the white? (and do I plug anything to the empty knobs?)
Old February 19, 2010, 08:09 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Quote:
Ok, I have a plug that is wired to Videotron that I could use/cut the wire.

There's 4 wires in the cable; Red, Green, Yellow, Black >>> which one do I plug with the blue and which one with the white? (and do I plug anything to the empty knobs?)
Doing your own telephone wiring

So from this diagram you want to do red to blue blue to white ? Does that make sense with the wires that are there.
Old February 19, 2010, 08:19 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

What I did is red to blue and green to white, works just fine now it seems!!! (I'm on Teksavvy now)

But MLPPP says *failed* in my routers settings

EDIT: Speedtest says 4.3Mb/s down, 0.66Mb/s up, a little slower than Videotron, but I'm not stuck with 30GB DL/UP limit

Thanks alot for your assistance guys! You both just saved me alot of $$$

Last edited by Lamb; February 19, 2010 at 08:27 PM.
Old February 19, 2010, 08:28 PM
Banned
F@H

do you want my paypal for a donation
Old February 19, 2010, 08:35 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkOne View Post
do you want my paypal for a donation
Old February 19, 2010, 08:44 PM