Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > Networking

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 18, 2010, 01:06 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Default Rogers modem question

I recently called about upgrading to the Extreme Plus package since we kept going over our limits every month. Now, all went well, the guy said everything should be ready by the end of the month. He also said I had to upgrade modems because my modem wouldn't be able to handle the 25 Megabit connection. Oddly, they said that they had no plain modems for rental, just the modem + router thingy. So I asked my mom and she said to go ahead, as it's just an extra $4 a month ($7 total).

Now, the thing I've run into with a bit of research. The modem I have is the Motorola Sufboard SB5101, and according to the Motorola site it can handle up to 38 Megabit. So, is Rogers trying to squeeze more money out of us or is there actually something else other than just the Megabit rating that would make it incompatible?

If not, then I'll definitely be sticking with the modem I have now. If so, I would rather purchase a modem outright than rent it. Where would I go about finding a modem that I could buy and guarantee works with Rogers 25 Megabit connection?
Code:
<martin_metal_88> I think I am gonna sell my server
<firebane> i will offer pereniums mom
<firebane> slightly used
<Keltron> slightly is an understatement
<LPfan4ever> Who're you kidding...slightly?
<martin_metal_88> peri's mom, slightly used? lol...

Old February 18, 2010, 01:47 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

For one, you're supposed to get up to 25 Mbits on downloads but seriously, how often will you get that kind of speed? You'll be fine with your Motorola modem.
Old February 18, 2010, 02:46 PM
Hall Of Fame

apparently it has to do with the codec firmware on board the modem. -just what I heard.

also, my friend has the 25mbit out in oshawa, and he gets all 25 nearly all the time.