Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > Networking

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 12, 2010, 05:47 AM
Hall Of Fame

yeah, good routers out there now usually can do both N/G mixed mode now.
Old February 12, 2010, 08:47 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by sswilson View Post
Keep in mind that most wireless N routers cannot do both N and G at the same time so they will default to G if there is a single non-N wireless device connecting to them. IIRC, what you need to be able to do that is a dual band router, and even if you find a dual band at a reasonable price, you have to double check that it can actually do both G and N at the same time. (rather than allowing two different "channels" of the same speed).
My DIR-655 would do 300Mbps on my laptop while my mom's netbook was connected at 54Mbps. It wasn't dual-band either. However it was flaky overall, requiring a reboot fairly often.
Old February 12, 2010, 06:09 PM
Rookie

I bought a Linksys WRT400N Router and all new N cards. Its Simultaneous 2.4GHz and 5GHz and it works out good for me because I need the 2.4GHz for the extra range and I can use the 5GHz for the closer PC's. I was going to buy the WRT610N but I didn't really need the USB port or the gigabit switch and for the extra money I saved I am happy with it. Also I still haven't had a chance to mess around with the setting or even really use the Internet much since I got it. Thanks for the help