Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > Networking

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 3, 2010, 05:56 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Default Powerline suggestions

I have a laptop that I use throughout my house, but mostly in my bedroom. My bedroom is a floor above my router and they're also on opposite sides of the house. It get a good amount of lag and even loose connection frequently. I've been thinking it's range problems, especially since I don't have problems when I'm closer.

My laptop is wireless N capable but most of the wireless devices in my house are not. Seems like the routers able to do N and G at the same time are expensive and may not even fix my problems. I could run a cable but the size and layout of my house would make it difficult. I also don't know how long I'll be living here so it could just be a waste.

I've been thinking powerline might be the easiest way to solve this problem. I've been looking at a few different kits but I'm not really sure what's best. Any suggestions are welcome. Also, how is powerline for gaming? I usually play games when I'm plugged in downstairs since the lag up here is so bad, but if it's better with powerline I wouldn't have to move it around as much.
Old February 3, 2010, 06:03 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Do you know what router you are using? Or if they are lots of other wireless networks close to you? How strong is the signal on your laptop when your in the bedroom?

It could be the router or it could be a bad signal. Make sure you router is as high off the ground as possible, doesn't have to hit the roof but as high as you can put it. I do not game over wireless much but if the Xbox and PS3 use Wireless, I don't see why your laptop can't.

You could potentially try a wireless bridge to see if that increases your speed/latency.
Old February 3, 2010, 06:15 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Hopefully this answers some of your questions:

YouTube - Powerline vs Wireless vs Ethernet Networking (NCIX Tech Tips #52)

I don't bother with wireless now if I can help it.
Old February 4, 2010, 12:16 AM
MVP

My System Specs

I've seen powerline have some serious issues with pretty standard wiring. Then again, I've seen wireless do strange stuff (usually easily explained with a spectrum analyzer and some know-how). Wired is still the way to go with speed and reliability.
Consider checking whether or not your antenna connectors are tight on your laptop? If it has ever been dropped, it might be an issue...