Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > Networking

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 2, 2010, 05:48 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Default Yet another ''help me for new ISP''

Hey guys,

I'm looking to break/destroy/annihilate my parent's contract with Videotron (I'm ready to pay 120$ to kill the deal) to change our ISP and here's those I've been eyeing;

High-Speed DSL;
High Speed Internet Access - Residential Service - Distributel

Découvrez le Fournisseur ADSL et Internet par Cable | Radioactif (yes the website is in french, but since we have a kind-of big french community, I'm sure someone can help me with those )

High-Speed Cable;
https://www.cia.com/?wicket:interface=:25:1:::

Here's what I'd like
- 5mbits/sec to 10mbits/sec speed
- Unlimited down/up (or limit higher than 100gb, so I can download all my legit games without having to pay twice due to busting the limit...)
- NO CONTRACT
- No Hell throttling (not that I yar' alot, but I'm guessing it slows the service, so that means preference for cable, unless the DSL ISP have Teksavvy-like options)
- Looking to pay between 25 to 50$ / month

If you know any more that would be available in Repentigny,Qc, say so
Old February 2, 2010, 06:03 PM
Hall Of Fame

Check if Velcom or Teksavvy are available in your area.
Old February 2, 2010, 06:10 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Looking at Velcom website, it says they are serving Ontario & Quebec, and since they don't ask for our postal I'm guessing it should cover my area since it's close to Montreal.

EDIT :

Up to 5.0 Mbps Download Speed
Up to 800 Upload Speed
200GB TRAFFIC
40 Email Accounts
Dynamic IP Address
Free Web Hosting 100 MB Personal Web Space
29.95$

Looks good! Just need to add a static IP (2$) for my PC since I'm gaming alot and I'm golden

Last edited by Lamb; February 2, 2010 at 06:18 PM.
Old February 2, 2010, 06:12 PM
Hall Of Fame

Teksavvy servs Quebec area too..check them out as well. I'm with Velcom and they're good. Teksavvy although has better support service (but I don't need them heh)
Old February 2, 2010, 06:20 PM
Banned
F@H

How much I dream videotron will be available here.... I'm stock with only bell as option. I pay for 7 mb and I get only 3mb.. of course the distance....

edit : $ 39.95 for phone and internet. I pay over $ 120 with Bell... will give a call tomorrow for sure. I can even have 2 at that price, since I have 2 line and a dual wan router. the $ 120 of bell is only for 1 line, the other on is on an other bill
Old February 2, 2010, 06:35 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkOne View Post
How much I dream videotron will be available here.... I'm stock with only bell as option. I pay for 7 mb and I get only 3mb.. of course the distance....

edit : $ 39.95 for phone and internet. I pay over $ 120 with Bell... will give a call tomorrow for sure. I can even have 2 at that price, since I have 2 line and a dual wan router. the $ 120 of bell is only for 1 line, the other on is on an other bill
And you're in Montreal or North as in far outside?
Old February 2, 2010, 06:50 PM
Banned
F@H

I live in ...let say near Rawdon.... ( I hate to say Chertsey... ) , but my office is in Rawdon. I'm lucky it's only 3 years we have DSL . I try 2 satellite provider before, spent a fortune for their crap... I put the 1400 $ dish in the garbage last summer I was tire to see it in the tool shed. And remeber bad thing everytime I saw it.
Old February 2, 2010, 06:55 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkOne View Post
I live in ...let say near Rawdon.... ( I hate to say Chertsey... ) , but my office is in Rawdon. I'm lucky it's only 3 years we have DSL . I try 2 satellite provider before, spent a fortune for their crap... I put the 1400 $ dish in the garbage last summer I was tire to see it in the tool shed. And remeber bad thing everytime I saw it.
Well, my aunt's live @ St-Paul near Joliette, which is closer to Montreal than Chertsey/Rawdon are, and she has crappy internet, must be a pain down there, at least you get nice outdoor movies
Old February 4, 2010, 03:13 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Well Velcom tells me the service isn't available in my area so I'd have to look for a cable ISP, tho I can't find one...

EDIT; Dry loop ADSL with Teksavvy would come to 39.05$/month, not too bad, I'll look into it with my parent's this weekend.

Last edited by Lamb; February 4, 2010 at 03:38 PM.
Old February 4, 2010, 11:42 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

After 10 years with rogers, I switched to Teksavvy. Their tech support is top notch.

EBAY(http://myworld.ebay.ca/scott0639)