Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > Networking

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 31, 2010, 09:35 PM
Top Prospect

Default New ISP - St Catharines

Well here's the Dl:

Currently I live in a student house with 5 other roommates (2 of them being our landlords). We have Bell internet, but it has a low bandwidth cap with speeds about 6mbps/800Kbps.

Our landlords are pretty good as they don't complain that we go over the cap every month, costing them $30 extra but I'm looking into saving them some money. Our plan now costs somewhere around $80/month, including overages etc.

I'm liking the looks of Teksavvy, as the speed on paper is relatively the same and they have unlimited bandwidth. Our landlords are looking at getting rid of their phone too so we would have to go for the dry loop option. I talked to customer service at Teksavvy and they said that the service is available in the area. Just wondering what people's opinions of Teksavvy are?

The other option is going with COGECO. Just wondering if anyone has experience with them in the area. I had COGECO at the house I lived in a couple years ago and was very happy with it. Obviously now they have bandwidth caps but they are way higher then Bell. A similar priced package $39.95 (compared to teksavvy) would have a 60GB cap with 14mbps/? for twelve months + $30 overage charge (I'm sure we would go over) . Then that would shoot up to ~$84(including overage) after the year, basically getting us back to where we started but with double the d/l speed.

Overall I am leaning towards teksavvy but not sure about dry loop dsl. Seems from what I've read some people have had trouble with bell and teksavvy and connecting the service. Right now we have Bell phone so I'm assuming that if they got it before they dropped the phone service things wouldn't be to difficult.

Any suggestions to other ISP's or information on Teksavvy or COGECO would be appreciated.

CANADA KICKS ASS GAMING CLAN

Old February 1, 2010, 07:04 AM
MVP
F@H

I'm on Cogeco. Speed is good. Service rarely goes down. BUT: when I was on the light package, they did their math at 10X (ie: 600 Mb was metered at 6GB) just like the famous Verizon Math Fail (here, if you've never heard it: YouTube - Verizon Math Fail ).

I'm sure you won't be using that package, though.