Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > Networking

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 20, 2010, 11:44 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Default Rogers to Tekksavvy Switch

I'm currently on Rogers Express and paying around $35/month. The service has been great except for the fact that I get a low bandwidth limit. I don't get throttled for some reason so no complains for that. I haven't had any service outage and anything like that either.

I'm currently thinking of whether I should switch to Tekksavvy or not since it's cheaper, provides more bandwidth, and supposedly better service. Is the switch feasible and is it the right time to do it? I heard that the CRTC made a ruling a while back that would change ISPs and everything. Is this true?

Also, I currently have some important stuff associated with our Rogers e-mail account so changing to Tekksavvy might not be such a good idea. What's your take?
Old January 20, 2010, 01:50 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

If you're not having any problems why change. That's my line of thinking anyways.
Old January 20, 2010, 02:23 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

I switched from Rogers to Tekksavvy now almost 2 years ago if i didnt id have been paying close to 75 dollars a month instead of the no limit 39.99 i do a lot of downloading. I never use isp emails exactly so i do not run into the issue you are now facing. I know before i left they did offer me 90 gb cap from the standard 60 if yu can work with 90gbs then talk to their Rentention dept.
Mushkin Ascent Redline 8000 4gb DDR2 @ 1066 5-5-5-15 2.05v
OCZ 600W GameXstream
Seagate 7200.11 500gb
Seagate 7200.10 320gb
Antec Spot Cool
Logitech X-230
Samsung 32" 720P HDTV

Coolermaster Cosmos S/
Swiftech Mcp655/ MCR-320-QP/ 6X Noctua NF-P12'S/ Swiftech Apogee GT/ Swiftech Mcw-60/ Swiftech Micro-Res.

Old January 20, 2010, 04:54 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

If we switch, we'd be switching because of the prices, and more bandwidth. I currently use 60GB a month. I could always give retentions a try, especially since they're raising the overusage fee to a max of $50/month. However at the moment, I'm paying $35 thanks to a $10 credit so I'm not sure if calling retentions is a good idea.

From my understanding, I'd also have to cancel the Better Choice Bundle and pay back whatever I saved. Plus there's the CRTC ruling that I still haven't been able to find much about. It seems that they cancelled whatever they were going to do?
Old January 20, 2010, 05:40 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Do you have a landline? If not, you will incur a band fee of about $10 per month to get onto Bell's lines.
Old January 21, 2010, 07:12 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

The CRTC is a lame duck and will never benefit you.

I have Rogers Cable and TekSavvy DSL and the two services are almost identical WRT speed. I live downtown so it may not be the same wherever you are.

TekSavvy has no contracts and no cancellation fee. Buy the service and test it out. If you don't like it then dump it. If you do then cancel/modify your Rogers account.
Old January 21, 2010, 07:12 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoob View Post
Do you have a landline? If not, you will incur a band fee of about $10 per month to get onto Bell's lines.
No Bell stuff in my house, so I guess I'd have to pay at least $40/month. Maybe I'll just stick with Rogers and continue to watch my bandwidth...
Old January 21, 2010, 11:23 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Bell came in today to check the phone line. I just dumped rogers hi speed express for teksavvy premium internet (200GB) and their home phone service with call display option. I bought my own modem for $26 at canadacomputers. My total bill per month with teksavvy will be $60.01 tax included. I was giving rogers close to $50/month for 60GB and no home phone. I have to pay back $38 because of the bundled savings since last May, but that's no biggie.

EBAY(http://myworld.ebay.ca/scott0639)
Old January 22, 2010, 11:41 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

hell it just cost me an extra 250 to get my internet working right ( had to cancel it and get a whole fresh install from rogers ) out side of paying for the install i will be looking at teksavvy soon i mean it sounds great so ia m going to give them a shoot at my cash rogers is over a hundred a month know which ain't cheap. ( the 100 bucks is for extream plus i always go way over the limit i hit over 1 terabyte a month or close to it almost all the time.
Old January 22, 2010, 12:44 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

I have teksavvy dsl, phone and long distance plan. The customer service is top notch, i actually enjoy talking with them. It seems that they are trained very well, and know their stuff inside and out, if you want to talk to them on a high technical level, they have no problem doing so. Certainly a far cry from other isps. Currantly i have a 200gb cap, and if you get the mlppp option for 4$ apparently torrents wont be throttled, though i have yet to try it.
Im happy with my connection, i get around 4300 down/ 400 up, with a great ping. Some cod4 servers i get 35ms with alot around 50. The only thing i wished was if they offered a higher speed connection. Until they do that, im thinking about adding a second line. WRt54gl with custom tomato/mlppp firmware has the ability to handle 2 lines