Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > Networking

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 22, 2010, 05:46 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Well I wouldn't need MLPPP for sure. Too cheap to pay that nor would I have the use for it. Only thing I'd really need is more bandwidth. But it seems that in my situation, it might not be worth it to switch to Tekksavvy.

@ginger. How the hell do you hit 1TB?
Old January 22, 2010, 06:19 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

there are 3 very heavy internet users in are house and i download all the motogp/wrc hd i can get my on hehe
Old January 22, 2010, 09:26 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

I like Teksavvy, but they rely on Bell Lines... they are waaaayyy cheaper than Bell or Rogers... only reason I switched to cable because the speed is not there with ADSL. I subscribed to the 5 mpbs package and I am not getting no where close to that, I am only getting 1 mbps, maybe the wiring into the house? I dry looped it too so I don't have to install filters. it is extra 10 dollars a month.

I did not subsribe to Rogers but I went with Cybersurf/3web, i kno a lot of ppl complain about them but --> they use Rogers cable and it is cheaper, I am alrite with 60 gb limit for now and I don't foresee myself downloading more than 60 gigs a month.
Old February 15, 2010, 09:55 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

i have been on teksavvy for around 3 years now. love them to bits. the MLPPP options doesnot throttle my linux iso downloads :). As for the poor connection speeds. DSL is a fickle mistress. you need to be a decent distance (sub 3km) and have good lines into the demarc to get a good speed. It's the downfall of DSL technology. I say bring on the teksavvy FTTH already :D
Old February 18, 2010, 07:23 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mo' power View Post
Bell came in today to check the phone line. I just dumped rogers hi speed express for teksavvy premium internet (200GB) and their home phone service with call display option. I bought my own modem for $26 at canadacomputers. My total bill per month with teksavvy will be $60.01 tax included. I was giving rogers close to $50/month for 60GB and no home phone. I have to pay back $38 because of the bundled savings since last May, but that's no biggie.
+1, I did the exact same thing. I paid like $20 for a TP Link 8816 modem. I couldn't be any happier with Teksavvy, great customer service!
Old March 12, 2010, 06:48 AM
Rookie

I just finished my first month of tekksavvy and couldn't be more happer. I was previously using rogers extreme and don't really care about the speed difference since you can't maximize it anyways. With TS my connection speeds are 4.3 mbit and .6 up.

I often use the analogy to my friends: its like having a Ferrari and forced to drive the speed limit.
Old March 12, 2010, 09:58 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

yup not mention that you look way cooler in a nice car under control. the in a nice car going fast but out of control then you look like a douche
Old March 16, 2010, 11:49 PM
Top Prospect

Teksavvy #1 service. I dont think anyone who has talk with them will not agreed to this. I switched to them about a year and a haft now, its been worry free. Its so true, that their tech support is so nice that i would feel like calling them up and just chat with them.
Every company should learn from their tech support...nothing in canada has any support like that....
A+++
Old March 17, 2010, 04:20 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

i mostly agree with that statement. There are some companies with a similar level of support (hp and ibm) but that's generally on their enterprise products and you pay a buttload for that level of service.
Old April 13, 2010, 03:41 PM
Banned

I convinced someone to try DSL (right now, the 'main' ISP is Rogers) but there's already problems. I couldn't justify the lower caps Rogers has and the huge increases in price just to have the cap a bit higher. But, the connections are decent and even the downloading is okay (knock on wood).

But, I think Bell is interfering but I'm told if Bell takes a look and decides it's not on their end, they will charge. How do I know they're not lying? They can basically do anything! They control the lines!

I don't like what Teksavvy has been saying. I have to check inside first. I'm being told to try a different modem. I read forums and googled. I know the TP Link 8816 is a popular modem and I have a Linksys WRTGL router. These are top choices for DSL customers. But, the speed is around 1.5 Mbps and I know that DSL in this place can get to 2.5. It's an apartment so I can't do much in the way of checking lines, wires, demarc etc. What would you do? I had Bell before because I thought if you sign up with them first and optimize your connection speed, you have evidence/proof of whatever they gave you. I would then switch. But, what happened is that I got Rogers first because the Bell bill got too high and Rogers was the only one that would connect right away. It was bad timing on my part but I wanted to insist on another DSL co. so Teksavvy.

But, the stats/speed/connection is so poor now so I'm not sure what to do. The other potential problem is that we're 3.3km away from the CO. I know where it is so I can figure it out on google maps. But, I know that this location can get 2.5Mbps and that is probably enough for half decent bandwidth and downloading.

Does anyone have any suggestions? I read some replies here and some really apply to my situation except their outcome was way more favourable in that they're totally satisfied and getting good speeds. I guess I could wait it out but I'm convinced it's a Bell-related problem. I just don't want to pay no darn charge since I'm sure they'll try to deny anything from their end. I don't trust them.

Any suggestions?