Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > Networking

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 16, 2010, 04:51 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Default Gaming Routers - ?

Hey all, I am purchasing a Router soon as a second one to have in my room. The one I have at the moment is a NetComm NB9W, This is good for my general work laptop but whenever I open ports in it for games or change something that needs to be changed it seems to lock my laptop out of the wireless network and I have to mess around with it to get my laptop back on the network, So I am buying a new router and I was hoping you guys would know a Good router for gaming.

I have ADSL+2 and my ISP is TPG (I am from Australia) So the router needs to be ADSL2+ and I would like it to be made with gaming in mind but also perform as well as any other router in general performance (Youtube, E-Mails, forums ect..)

Thanks for any help guys!
Old January 16, 2010, 08:56 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Check the other router threads.

So called gaming routers are in my opinion, not worth it. Go for something that can run DD-WRT like a ASUS WL-520GU or Buffalo WHR-HP-G54.
Old January 16, 2010, 09:13 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Personally i just go with a gigabit router as its essentially the same thing as a gaming router
Old January 17, 2010, 11:02 AM
MVP

My System Specs

Alright thanks guys.
Old February 15, 2010, 08:27 PM
Rookie

Routers intended for ISP and major enterprise connectivity will almost invariably exchange routing information with the Border Gateway Protocol (BGP).
Old February 15, 2010, 09:49 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

if it were me i would get a router that you can load dd-wrt or tomato on. Much better router OS's IMHO. Also the only instance in where a "Router" would need to be ADSL+2 Compliant would be if it has an integrated ADSL modem. Otherwise it shouldn't matter.
Old February 16, 2010, 01:27 PM
MVP

My System Specs

.. i think this is one of the best routers:
Newegg.com - Recertified: LINKSYS WRT320N-RM IEEE 802.3/3u/3ab, IEEE 802.11b/g, IEEE802.11n 2 Dual-Band Wireless Router
and i have this for my website and gaming:
Newegg.com - LINKSYS WRT54G2 IEEE 802.3/3u, IEEE 802.11b/g Wireless-G Broadband Router - Wireless Routers

excellent router.. im always changing settings and i never have any problems..
Old February 17, 2010, 12:02 AM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

to stimulate this conversation further... don't "gaming" routers simply employ some form of QoS on the game's packets so they take priority over others LAN users who are... say.. streaming video or p2p file sharing over the network?

If this is true... then realistically, a gaming router should only enhance your gaming experience if you have a larger LAN with high bandwidth demands? ... and have little or no measurable impact if there are very few users on the green side of the router?
Old February 17, 2010, 12:15 AM
MVP

My System Specs

lol posted this ages ago(Haha today one month ago how strange), Yeah that is what I meant by "Gaming" router, I wanted something that has a easy to navigate Router page and that prioritised my Gaming over other peoples YouTube needs lol (How selfish) But all I really want is a reliable router that can do what you want a router to do without random drops out or anything else of that nature (Yes I still have not purchased a new router lol)
Old February 17, 2010, 11:06 AM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by TokeR View Post
lol posted this ages ago(Haha today one month ago how strange), Yeah that is what I meant by "Gaming" router, I wanted something that has a easy to navigate Router page and that prioritised my Gaming over other peoples YouTube needs lol (How selfish) But all I really want is a reliable router that can do what you want a router to do without random drops out or anything else of that nature (Yes I still have not purchased a new router lol)
I game a lot, and also like stability with everything, router, computer, etc..
I have a D-Link DI-524 with the latest firmware.

It's really, a cheap POS, but the thing is a work horse!
I never have to reboot it, all the port forwarding works, never hangs... It's a remarkable piece of networking equipment I must say. I paid next to nothing for it a few years ago and its just working along perfectly. I'd buy D-Link again in a heartbeat.
Powercolor 5870
Velociraptor 150
Seagate LP 2TB
Corsair AX750
Silverstone FT01B-W (HWC review case)

HEATWARE 45-0-0

My Cannondale <3