Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > Networking

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 14, 2010, 01:51 AM
Top Prospect
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by omgwtf View Post
Why don't you get another wrt54gl ? I think you could find them at 40ish..
I don't think the WRT54GL has a USB port (at least mine didn't, maybe they do now). It rarely drops below $60 and I've never seen it at $40 (happened once 18 months ago according to pricecanada.ca). Will be interesting to try something new, especially if it is in fact better than the linksys as some people claim.

Quote:
Originally Posted by m1dget View Post
If you have a spare old computer, 2 network cards, some time to dedicate to this and want to have a bit of fun at the same time, I would suggest you to try this PF: The OpenBSD Packet Filter :)

You will have a reliable near bulletproof firewall with ssh access to it and everything you could want from industrial packet filter
haha that would be fun. Unfortunately I just dismantled and recycled/gave away the parts. Maybe next time if I get really bored.
Old January 20, 2010, 11:50 PM
Top Prospect
F@H

My System Specs

Update: Ordered it tonight from NCIX's weekly sale. $29.99 after $10 MIR (still cheap even if I don't ever see the $10).

Gonna flash it with tomato so it's ready to go when Shaw comes to hook up the cable/internet on the 30th.
Old January 21, 2010, 09:53 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Nice buy! Sadly I am having trouble getting the printer to work wirelessly. I have not had any time to troubleshoot it yet though. But I think it's an HP issue not a router issue. :\

Desktop:
See the drop down!

Laptop: Dell XPS M1530 \\ T7500 2.2GHz \\ 3GB 667 \\ 6 Cell \\ 8600M GT \\ 200GB 7.2K \\ WSXGA+ \\ Bluetooth/Wireless \\ MS Blue Track Mini \\ Vista Ult. (RED)

HEATWARE
Old January 21, 2010, 10:09 AM
Banned
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thund3rball View Post
. But I think it's an HP .. :\
HP. I can believe this company still exist.
Old January 28, 2010, 11:28 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Well I give up on this Asus router. I flashed it to Tomato and ever since the wireless for my laptop has been nothing but a serious PITA. My PS3 connects no problemo but my laptop absolutely hates this f*cking router and so do I! lol

I know I am a networking moron so I have been through every wireless forum/thread/help/tip/troubleshooting/static ip/etc etc etc etc for 3.5 hours alone tonight, never mind the countless disconnects/reconnect multiple times every bloody day since I hooked it up just to get a connection to the web from my laptop. Yup, I give up!

If my wife wasn't in the same room I would have seriously lost my temper and smashed the little POS into a million pieces after lighting it on fire and playing back screams of agony from a horror movie for extra effect. Buh bye Asus!!!

I hooked my WRT54G back up and my laptop connected instantly. God forbid that thing should ever die. I think I am going to go and buy 5 right now and hide them in the closet for just such an emergency.

Desktop:
See the drop down!

Laptop: Dell XPS M1530 \\ T7500 2.2GHz \\ 3GB 667 \\ 6 Cell \\ 8600M GT \\ 200GB 7.2K \\ WSXGA+ \\ Bluetooth/Wireless \\ MS Blue Track Mini \\ Vista Ult. (RED)

HEATWARE
Old January 30, 2010, 07:25 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thund3rball View Post
Well I give up on this Asus router. I flashed it to Tomato and ever since the wireless for my laptop has been nothing but a serious PITA. My PS3 connects no problemo but my laptop absolutely hates this f*cking router and so do I! lol

I know I am a networking moron so I have been through every wireless forum/thread/help/tip/troubleshooting/static ip/etc etc etc etc for 3.5 hours alone tonight, never mind the countless disconnects/reconnect multiple times every bloody day since I hooked it up just to get a connection to the web from my laptop. Yup, I give up!

If my wife wasn't in the same room I would have seriously lost my temper and smashed the little POS into a million pieces after lighting it on fire and playing back screams of agony from a horror movie for extra effect. Buh bye Asus!!!

I hooked my WRT54G back up and my laptop connected instantly. God forbid that thing should ever die. I think I am going to go and buy 5 right now and hide them in the closet for just such an emergency.
I'm sorry you are having such trouble with your Router, but god damn you made me LOL. Probably because i've been there myself.

Hope your luck improves.
Old January 30, 2010, 07:49 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I've never had any sort of luck with wireless. Cat5e or powerline ethernet FTW!