Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > Networking

    
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #11 (permalink)  
Old January 12, 2010, 06:57 PM
Top Prospect
F@H
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Winnipeg
Posts: 167
Default

I just bought a dir 615 and I was told the same thing, The router will only run as fast as the slowest connection... So maybe there is some truth to this, I can't tell as I only have one netbook running on802.11n...
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #12 (permalink)  
Old January 12, 2010, 06:57 PM
Thund3rball's Avatar
Hall Of Fame
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 3,526

My System Specs

Default

Well I was going off the recommendations on the NCIX forums which have usually been pretty reliable for info for me. As good as wrt54g... from what I read yes, especially with Tomato. I haven't got the router yet, just ordered like 15 minutes ago, lol.
__________________
"this is not troll. this is real deal!" - hohohee

Desktop:
See the drop down!

Laptop: Dell XPS M1530 \\ T7500 2.2GHz \\ 3GB 667 \\ 6 Cell \\ 8600M GT \\ 200GB 7.2K \\ WSXGA+ \\ Bluetooth/Wireless \\ MS Blue Track Mini \\ Vista Ult. (RED)


HEATWARE
Reply With Quote
  #13 (permalink)  
Old January 12, 2010, 06:58 PM
geokilla's Avatar
Hall Of Fame
F@H
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Toronto
Posts: 3,626

My System Specs

Default

Buffalo WHR-HP-G54 with DD-WRT. Best combination ever.

The ASUS WL-520GU is better than a WRT54GL. It's cheaper too.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #14 (permalink)  
Old January 12, 2010, 07:03 PM
Evylldemon's Avatar
Top Prospect
F@H
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 158

My System Specs

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by geokilla View Post
Buffalo WHR-HP-G54 with DD-WRT. Best combination ever.

The ASUS WL-520GU is better than a WRT54GL. It's cheaper too.
Reviews of the Buffalo and ASUS are both very high. The ASUS is very cheap too and the print server capability is a big plus.

I'll read a little more about it and let you guys know what I decide.

Also which firmware would you recommend for the ASUS? Tomato or DD-WRT? I'm familiar with both but probably prefer the tomato layout.
Reply With Quote
  #15 (permalink)  
Old January 12, 2010, 07:06 PM
sswilson's Avatar
Moderator
F@H
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Moncton NB
Posts: 14,570

My System Specs

Default

I think a lot will depend on the price difference between current G and N routers.... Is it worth the extra $10 - $20 to pick up an N router on the off chance you might use the extra range at some time?

I picked up a DIR-615 over a year ago even though my wireless connections are mixed (At the time I only had an older laptop on wireless G and have an N stick if I really want to force the N standard, but it's a bulky trendnet stick and I'd rather not use it if I don't need it) and it's been rock solid for me. (currently have 2 wireless G, 1 wireless N, 2 wired PCs, 1 ethernet printer).

It's been well over a year and I believe I've only had to power cycle it once since I got it. That said, I don't do any torrenting at all so I don't know how well it behaves under heavy connection load.
__________________
MSI Z87I Gaming AC / i5 4670K / 2X 4G Gskill 1866 DDR3 / XFX XTR 750 / EVGA GTX 680 SC+ 2GB / Intel DC S3700 200G / random 160G Sata HDD
Inwin 904 / Swiftech MCP655-b / Alphacool NexXxos XT45 120 Rad / 2X Scythe GT AP-15 / EK Supreme HF / Dell UltraSharp U2412M

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 2X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / 320G Seagate Momentus / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 22" Dell IPS / 1X 22" HP
Reply With Quote
  #16 (permalink)  
Old January 12, 2010, 07:13 PM
Thund3rball's Avatar
Hall Of Fame
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 3,526

My System Specs

Default

Check this out.

An Easy Guide to Installing Tomato on the Asus 520gu | Society9.com

Edit oh and this.

LinksysInfo - Community Forums for Linksys Devices - View Single Post - Custom Tomato look/theme
__________________
"this is not troll. this is real deal!" - hohohee

Desktop:
See the drop down!

Laptop: Dell XPS M1530 \\ T7500 2.2GHz \\ 3GB 667 \\ 6 Cell \\ 8600M GT \\ 200GB 7.2K \\ WSXGA+ \\ Bluetooth/Wireless \\ MS Blue Track Mini \\ Vista Ult. (RED)


HEATWARE
Reply With Quote
  #17 (permalink)  
Old January 12, 2010, 07:38 PM
Evylldemon's Avatar
Top Prospect
F@H
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 158

My System Specs

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sswilson View Post
I think a lot will depend on the price difference between current G and N routers.... Is it worth the extra $10 - $20 to pick up an N router on the off chance you might use the extra range at some time?

I picked up a DIR-615 over a year ago even though my wireless connections are mixed (At the time I only had an older laptop on wireless G and have an N stick if I really want to force the N standard, but it's a bulky trendnet stick and I'd rather not use it if I don't need it) and it's been rock solid for me. (currently have 2 wireless G, 1 wireless N, 2 wired PCs, 1 ethernet printer).

It's been well over a year and I believe I've only had to power cycle it once since I got it. That said, I don't do any torrenting at all so I don't know how well it behaves under heavy connection load.
I could have fot the DIR-615 for $40 on boxing day but decided to wait. I think for the same price the USB support on the ASUS is enough to sway my decision over the possibility of wanting N in the future.

Thanks for the links. After reading about it I think I'm going to go with the ASUS router. According to pricecanada.com it frequently drops below $40 so I think i'll wait until the end of the month and see if I can get it on sale before I need it in Feb. I'll try out that tomato guide once I get it, hopefully my super old printer works!

Thanks a lot for everyone's help and input! I'll end up spending half what I expected with likely a better product.
Reply With Quote
  #18 (permalink)  
Old January 12, 2010, 07:54 PM
omgwtf's Avatar
Hall Of Fame
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Montreal
Posts: 1,905
Default

Why don't you get another wrt54gl ? I think you could find them at 40ish..
__________________
Memento mori
Reply With Quote
  #19 (permalink)  
Old January 13, 2010, 10:00 AM
Thund3rball's Avatar
Hall Of Fame
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 3,526

My System Specs

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evylldemon View Post
I could have fot the DIR-615 for $40 on boxing day but decided to wait. I think for the same price the USB support on the ASUS is enough to sway my decision over the possibility of wanting N in the future.

Thanks for the links. After reading about it I think I'm going to go with the ASUS router. According to pricecanada.com it frequently drops below $40 so I think i'll wait until the end of the month and see if I can get it on sale before I need it in Feb. I'll try out that tomato guide once I get it, hopefully my super old printer works!

Thanks a lot for everyone's help and input! I'll end up spending half what I expected with likely a better product.
Cheers. If I experience anything unusual with mine when I get it I'll post back here.

Below $40 would be a very sweet deal! I was happy enough with $45.79. After taxes and shipping my total is under $57. Not bad considering NCIX is listing it at $60 right now. :)
__________________
"this is not troll. this is real deal!" - hohohee

Desktop:
See the drop down!

Laptop: Dell XPS M1530 \\ T7500 2.2GHz \\ 3GB 667 \\ 6 Cell \\ 8600M GT \\ 200GB 7.2K \\ WSXGA+ \\ Bluetooth/Wireless \\ MS Blue Track Mini \\ Vista Ult. (RED)


HEATWARE
Reply With Quote
  #20 (permalink)  
Old January 13, 2010, 10:18 AM
m1dget's Avatar
Allstar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Terrebonne, Qc
Posts: 707

My System Specs

Default

If you have a spare old computer, 2 network cards, some time to dedicate to this and want to have a bit of fun at the same time, I would suggest you to try this PF: The OpenBSD Packet Filter :)

You will have a reliable near bulletproof firewall with ssh access to it and everything you could want from industrial packet filter
__________________
"NIX is a classic example of security through obscurity because there is no real monetary reward for crackers and hackers to break Linix" -AkG
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
$20 Headphone Recommendation geokilla Audio 14 December 18, 2009 01:43 PM
TV Card recommendation Rommel HTPC Systems & Software 4 August 26, 2009 04:48 PM
case recommendation fruity Cases 21 July 19, 2009 06:43 PM
PSU recommendation? SugarJ Power Supplies 6 March 26, 2009 09:26 PM
Need a Case Recommendation shryke Cases 12 October 7, 2008 09:11 PM