Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > Networking

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 5, 2010, 11:04 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Default noise filter help needed

Greetings all,
I booked my appointment for Teksavvy to install my internet and phone service in a few weeks. buh-bye rogers. I'm going shopping tomorrow for my internet modem, phones and a noise filter. Teksavvy sells them for 4.99. It's a noise filter that connects between the phone jack and the phone. It also protects the dsl as well when phones are added to the line. Can I buy one locally here in Toronto? What am I looking for? Should I buy from Teksavvy or try the source or a computer store maybe? I am going to canada computers tomorrow to purchase my modem and factory direct for a few cordless phones. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

EBAY(http://myworld.ebay.ca/scott0639)
Old January 6, 2010, 05:46 AM
F@H

My System Specs

They are all the same thing really so i would say wherever you can get it the cheapest
Old January 6, 2010, 07:04 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Thanks. I checked Canada Computers and they're selling one for 4.99, same price as Teksavvy so I added to my order. I just got off the phone with rogers and they offered me 30% off my internet service to stay with them but it'll still cost me more in the long run for going over the 60GB cap. I currently pay $46/month for express. I have to monitor my bandwidth like crazy so I don't go over.
With teksavvy, I'll be getting the premium dsl with 200GB and home phone service with call display for $60 tax included. I can live with the cut in download speed which will be 5Mb/s. I'm picking up a TP Link TD 8616 modem from Canada Computers today as jdrom suggested. All in all I think I'll be happy with the service. Switch is happening on the 22nd.
Looks like I'll have to pick up some Teksavvy and HWC swag to wear at the next meetup, lol!

Last edited by mo' power; January 6, 2010 at 07:10 AM.
Old January 6, 2010, 09:38 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

I just use one filter to cover the whole house. The phone wire comes into the basement and is split. One leg goes to the DSL modem and the other to a splitter and then to the breakout box that feeds all the phones in the house. I was a little worried that it might burn out but no problems after years of use. (Though, we rarely use more than one extension.) You might have to get a little more creative if you want the modem somewhere else.

These things are just very simple notch filters with two wires in and two out. If you are handy with a soldering iron take one apart and hard wire it in.
Old January 6, 2010, 09:39 AM
Hall Of Fame

home depot has em cheap
Old January 6, 2010, 03:52 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Well, I didn't wake up from my afternoon nap before work early enough to go shopping so I'll go tomorrow instead. Instead of starting a new thread, I'll continue with this one.

I have a question in regards to cordless phones. Since I haven't had a home phone for the last 10 years, I'm kind of behind the times on frequencies. Should I purchase 5.8Ghz phones or DECT 6.0 which I've never heard of. I've been reading up on it, but I can't decide. Factory direct downtown has a large selection in those two frequencies. Any suggestions, comments or recommendations on those frequencies would be greatly appreciated.

Old January 6, 2010, 06:01 PM
F@H

My System Specs

FYI, with that TP-Link modem it comes with a ADSL splitter. As such, it takes one jack in and provides two jacks out. One is unfiltered, which you plug the modem into, the other is filtered.

If you only have one phone/base-station, then you don't need anymore filters. And that's assuming you have the modem and phone close by.

If you're buying a new cordless set, go with DECT6.0 as it apparently has no interference issues. I'd look into customer reviews first though cause it seems a lot of the cheaper sets (Philips comes to mind) have terrible audio quality.
Old January 6, 2010, 07:05 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I tend to shy away from anything Phillips. I'm looking for setup with 2 handsets with caller ID, separate chargers with one having a built in answering machine. Cash isn't really an issue. I think I saw one at factory direct. One base has the answering machine and the second smaller one just plugs into any power outlet. I'm sure I'll find something tomorrow. Like I said, there's a large selection to choose from at factory direct. Thanks again for the info guys.

Old January 11, 2010, 03:31 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Lol. Went to best buy the other day and got the last one in stock on sale for $$49.99.

Phones & Small Appliances: Telephones: VTech 2-Handset DECT 6.0 Cordless Phone With Answering Machine (DS6221-2) | Best Buy Canada Web Store