Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > Networking

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 4, 2010, 08:51 PM
MVP

Default two ISPs?

I was wondering if it is possible to have to ISPs in one home? My g/f and I and our 3yr old son live in my sisters basement, its I guess what you call an in-law suite. Anyways, my sister is with cogeco and has a bundle: internet, phone and digital cable. The internet package they have is High Speed Internet Pro which is $76.95 per month and 125gb allowance. I keep going over the bandwidth limit and my sister gets charged an additional $50 a month, which I pay for obviously.

I took a look at TekSavvy's site and you can get their high speed internet premium package for $39 a month with unlimited bandwidth. I understand you have to pay for the modem or you can pay for it monthly.

My question is, can I get TekSavvy for my family even though there is a cogeco cable line in the house? Do ISPs use the same cable line or separate ones? I'm considering switching to TekSavvy because it would be more cost effective for my family since I go over the bandwidth usage. My sister charges us $675 a month for basically a small one bedroom apartment. And then if I go over the internet usage, add another $50, so $725. And money is tight now. So if I can get another ISP line hooked up, I could save us in rent from the over usage and also I wouldn't have to pay for the internet that she charges us, since I will be with my own ISP.

"The peppers fired a warning shot. Some were so loud and echoing that I was later told a few folks in
other aisles had ducked, fearing that someone was robbing the store and firing off a shotgun."
Old January 4, 2010, 08:55 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Cogeco is cable while techsavy is DSL isn't it? Completely different lines into the house so there should be no problems having both.

Gigabyte C1007UN-D / 2X4G Gskill PC3-10700 / Pico PSU / 2.5" 750G Toshiba HDD / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 19" BenQ / 1X 17" HP
Old January 4, 2010, 09:39 PM
Banned
F@H

My System Specs

I've had DSL through Bell and cable through Videotron running to the same house before with no problems. Teksavvy runs on the Bell network and Cogeco is cable so you'll be fine.

Keep in mind that if you do most of your downloading through torrents, you may have to deal with bandwidth limitations imposed on the Teksavvy line from Bell, so you may still be better off sticking with Cogeco and paying the overage fees in order to maintain decent download speeds.
Old January 4, 2010, 10:23 PM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero82z View Post
I've had DSL through Bell and cable through Videotron running to the same house before with no problems. Teksavvy runs on the Bell network and Cogeco is cable so you'll be fine.

Keep in mind that if you do most of your downloading through torrents, you may have to deal with bandwidth limitations imposed on the Teksavvy line from Bell, so you may still be better off sticking with Cogeco and paying the overage fees in order to maintain decent download speeds.
I don't use torrents anymore, so that shouldn't be a problem :) Once I switched to usenet, I never went back :)

Thanks for the help guys :) At least now I know I have some options :)

"The peppers fired a warning shot. Some were so loud and echoing that I was later told a few folks in
other aisles had ducked, fearing that someone was robbing the store and firing off a shotgun."
Old January 5, 2010, 01:23 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

I have Rogers cable and TekSavvy DSL in my house.

A friend had two DSL services in his house; one was a 'private' service and the other 'business'. There was no difference between then except one cost five times more but gave a static IP address range.

If you want two separate networks it is no problem at all.