Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   Networking (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/networking/)
-   -   Need a new router (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/networking/26674-need-new-router.html)

biff December 16, 2009 10:41 AM

Need a new router

Looking for recommendations for which router to buy for the office. I've only ever used cheapies and our current one is no different. They work fine for a year or two then start to act up. Turning on the photocopier near by causes it to lose internet connection requiring us to restart the router.

Anyway, looking for a GB router with wireless, no special requirements on the wireless. We mostly use it for sharing files and printers if that matters.

misterd December 16, 2009 12:01 PM

Get something that runs DD-WRT. Right now I have a WRT310N v1 and it's flashed over to it for stability / features. It's gigabit + N - however I know the v3's which are available in retail channels now are not compatible with it. N seems to be more popular then gigabit so that gigabit requirement is going to limit your choices in the end. I know a lot of people also using the D-Link DIR655 but it's probably 2 years old now and I would imagine support is lacking as the newer models come out. Good luck!

geokilla December 16, 2009 03:59 PM

ASUS WL-520GU and Buffalo WHR-HP-G54 has my vote. Get the Buffalo if you need good wireless performance.

Don't forget to run DD-WRT.

JD December 16, 2009 04:31 PM

DIR-655 still has support, since they have yet to get 1.3x firmware bug-free....

Mines been running stable for 34 days now though using the latest Beta firmware (1.32NA Build 09) which is the longest this thing as ever been up.

lcdguy December 16, 2009 07:12 PM

anything that runs tomato firmware. My personal fav is WRt54GL if you don't mind not having 802.11n.

biff December 17, 2009 12:03 AM

Wireless get's nearly no use. Used maybe a few times a month to transfer about 10MB of data, so I'm not going to miss 802.11n. Stability is far more important.

What are the improvements that the third party firmware provides?

lcdguy December 17, 2009 12:47 AM

the fork i am using adds moer support for things such as QOS and MLPPP support. I also find it alot more stable than stock firmware.

misterd December 17, 2009 06:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by biff (Post 303507)
Wireless get's nearly no use. Used maybe a few times a month to transfer about 10MB of data, so I'm not going to miss 802.11n. Stability is far more important.

What are the improvements that the third party firmware provides?

Stability and features.

"Among other features not found in the original Linksys firmware, DD-WRT adds the Kai Daemon for the Kai Console Gaming network, WDS wireless bridging/repeating protocol, Radius Authentication for more secure wireless communication, advanced Quality of Service controls for bandwidth allocation, and software support for the SD-Card hardware modification."

What is DD-WRT? - DD-WRT Wiki has many more listed features such as..
I should let you read the rest :bleh:
Anyways, it's been a god send in regards to stability. It used to be days and needing to reboot cause it hung up or got slow, this has been several months without issues and still going strong.

ayah December 17, 2009 02:11 PM

You could always build an old(er) system up and run PFSense or another linux routing distro.. ;)

grinder December 18, 2009 12:38 PM

if you truly want to break away from the "consumer/residential" grade hardware that was discussed here, then the best bang for your buck is a Netgear Prosafe.

ProSafe 8-port Gigabit VPN Firewall - NETGEAR.com