Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   Networking (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/networking/)
-   -   Several things that I need help with.. (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/networking/2655-several-things-i-need-help.html)

omgwtf September 22, 2007 08:05 AM

Several things that I need help with..

First of all I am sick and tired of using bell's shitty modem. When I will move I won't have any so this leaves me with no choice other than buying a good modem.
Adsl2 it what I have in mind. I heard ok things about SpeedTouch 516...
So, this modem will work with my current bell profile? that is just dsl i think...
Second, will it improve my current speeds that I am getting and will it require some settings being modified?
And third, when I will move to another company would it make a difference if it's adsl2+ ?
And..one more thing, how can I test my phone lines so that I can be assured that I can get adsl2+ speeds?
Thank you.

Mysteryous September 22, 2007 09:44 AM

When you move you should look in to what your current area has to offer as far as internet. Personally I consider Cable DSL to be very reliable. If you want to stick to ADSL, Try this.

omgwtf September 22, 2007 12:10 PM

Can I use the Dlink although I have dsl connection?
The speeds of 24mbps and 3mbps can be reached with that modem?

Mysteryous September 22, 2007 10:38 PM

I have never had the opportunity of testing such a device, although it is safe to say that it will only go as fast as your isp rates your connection at. Remember, what your isp provides you with is basic propriety equipment. You should be able to change it at any given time for any reason (*flips through contract agreement twice*). Given you set it up right, it should work.

JD September 23, 2007 09:15 AM

I've been looking into this too. I have Bell High Speed and my modem is from like 1998 or whenever we signed up. The Ethernet port on it is only 10Mbps. Tells you how old it is.

Of course, a modem isn't going to get you anything higher than the rated speed from Bell. They provide you with the service, a modem isn't going to over-ride their speed limits.

omgwtf September 23, 2007 11:12 AM

yeah well I'm just staying with bell till the end of the contract and then I'm gone..

sswilson September 23, 2007 02:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jdrom17 (Post 20355)
I've been looking into this too. I have Bell High Speed and my modem is from like 1998 or whenever we signed up. The Ethernet port on it is only 10Mbps. Tells you how old it is.

Of course, a modem isn't going to get you anything higher than the rated speed from Bell. They provide you with the service, a modem isn't going to over-ride their speed limits.

I'm pretty sure that ADSL still allows providers to "program" individual modems in order to throttle them back.

There used to be a lot of information over at broadbandreports on such things.

JD September 23, 2007 03:22 PM

Yeah they send a "Profile" to the modem which tells it what speed to use. I also think on their end they control it as well in case some older/non-Bell modems are used. I kinda doubt my modem has a profile cause the web interface/config thing on it is totally corrupted and messed up. But it still could I guess. I've tried to get a new modem from Bell before and they refuse to. I've easily bought this modem outright by now so why must I keep paying rental fees on it?

I'm on the good ol' unlimited contract. Once that ends though, if they won't renew it I'm going to have to look elsewhere. Definitely not Rogers though. I'm sticking to ADSL as it has better luck without all these stupid port blocks/caps/throttling that Rogers implements. Namely BitTorrent.

omgwtf November 13, 2007 05:44 AM

Velcom and Teksavvy are 2 good isp providers (also chek dslreports.com) ..and distributel also..