Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > Networking

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old December 10, 2009, 12:23 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Default Yet Another "Which Wireless Router" Question

This is for my brother and his wife who recently bought a laptop and still have a wired desktop too. This is the laptop (I think). It doesn't seem to support N so I don't think that's worth worrying about. They will probably just be doing basic web/email and some downloading but I don't anticipate they're going to get all fancy with port forwarding and torrents etc... They aren't all that techy.

R522 performance 15.6" R522P - notebook - mobile computing | SAMSUNG

I have an old and ugly WRT54G that has been very good to me. I also recommended one to my in-laws after they found the router they originally bought to be pretty craptacular. So is this still the way to go? I see lots of people talking about D-Links, I have never owned one but if they have a better basic wireless router for roughly same price, with plugs for wired Nics too, I'd be happy to recommend it.

Thanks for your input!

Desktop:
See the drop down!

Laptop: Dell XPS M1530 \\ T7500 2.2GHz \\ 3GB 667 \\ 6 Cell \\ 8600M GT \\ 200GB 7.2K \\ WSXGA+ \\ Bluetooth/Wireless \\ MS Blue Track Mini \\ Vista Ult. (RED)

HEATWARE
Old December 10, 2009, 01:09 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

^^^^ Yeah me too!!! I have the same Cico Router as you...presently have:
2 - Desktops hard-wired to it
1- Printer hard wired to it

My Notebook connects via "G Wireless"...
BUT..I find I have to unplug the Router and plug it back in (Power) fairly regularly...pita!
So...I noticed FS has severa varieties of "N Cisco Wireless" Routers for around $70....are these newer "N" Routers better/ more reliable / faster than my old G Cisco?

This is the one I was looking at
Future Shop: Computer Add-Ons: Networking: Linksys Home Wireless N Router (WRT160N) - Black

Had a :"quick" look at some Reviews....that Cisco I posted above doesn't support Gigabit LAN (will work but slower)

This one (Belkin) got rave reviews..about $100 at FS
Future Shop: Computer Add-Ons: Networking: Belkin Wireless N+ Router (F5D8235TT4)
Belkin N+ Wireless Router specs and Router specifications - CNET Reviews

Last edited by rjbarker; December 10, 2009 at 01:22 PM.
Old December 10, 2009, 01:17 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

I don't think wireless N is going to do you any good if your NIC doesn't support it. ;) But yes it is a better signal with more bandwidth, especially in terms of not having a direct line of sight to the router. But as said the WRT54G is doing great. At my in-laws the router is upstairs in a back bedroom (office) and you can get a pretty decent signal downstairs in the living room. Absolutely no line of sight and laptops/Wii all connect without issue.

As for restarting the router... it's only happened to me once or twice in the years I've owned it. And I think it had something to do with Shaw actually, so it was just part of my troubleshooting network problems. No complaints here. :)

Desktop:
See the drop down!

Laptop: Dell XPS M1530 \\ T7500 2.2GHz \\ 3GB 667 \\ 6 Cell \\ 8600M GT \\ 200GB 7.2K \\ WSXGA+ \\ Bluetooth/Wireless \\ MS Blue Track Mini \\ Vista Ult. (RED)

HEATWARE
Old December 10, 2009, 01:24 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Yeah i could be Shaw related alright....or the fact that I have a splitter for my Shaw HD Box (good quality splitter) on the same line as my Shaw Router......

Old December 10, 2009, 01:26 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

^^^ I just may pick up that Belkin and give it s go.....we'll see as I drive by FS this afternoon ;)

Old December 10, 2009, 05:10 PM
MVP

I'm currently using a Belkin Wireless n+ router and I've had no problems with it so far. I've been using it for at least 2yrs now :)

"The peppers fired a warning shot. Some were so loud and echoing that I was later told a few folks in
other aisles had ducked, fearing that someone was robbing the store and firing off a shotgun."
Old December 10, 2009, 06:20 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

What version is your old WRT54G? You can load DD-WRT onto it and the difference is like night and day. DD-WRT really brings the life out of DD-WRT supported routers.

If you want a new router, take a look at the Buffalo WHR-HP-G54 and ASUS WL-520GU. Both are DD-WRT compatible and great routers.
Old December 11, 2009, 10:38 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

^^^ I have no idea at all what FW version it is...I can tell you its about 2 - 3 yrs old....

Old December 12, 2009, 12:42 AM
F@H

My System Specs

I've been running the standard Dlink wireless N router for a year now and haven't had any problems with it at all. 3 PCs connected wirelessly, 2 PCs wired, 1 network printer wired.

Haven't had to power cycle the router once in that whole year to get it back on line, but then again, we don't do torrents in this household so your results may vary.

Keep in mind that unless it's a dual band wireless N router it'll drop down to wireless G for all devices if there's a single non-N device connecting to it wirelessly.

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 2X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / 320G Seagate Momentus / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 22" Dell IPS / 1X 22" HP
Old December 12, 2009, 12:47 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Thanks SS I'll keep that one in mind.

Desktop:
See the drop down!

HEATWARE