Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > Networking

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 6, 2006, 06:39 PM
Administrator
F@H

My System Specs

Default KillerNic

Not really software, but this seemed like the most appropriate area.

What's everone's thoughts on this product, hype or not?

Name:  KillerNic.jpg
Views: 194
Size:  10.6 KB

http://www.killernic.com/KillerNic/K...tOverview.aspx
Old November 6, 2006, 08:13 PM
Top Prospect

Hype. Not competing with a router that's less than half it's price (and it's a whole freakin' router!) plus only delivering on a few games... pass.

The most promsing aspect and probably the most expensive to implement is FNapps and the thing is broken. Oh, plus their horrible driver support and penchant to erase drive images after an install really screams confidence. Oh well, I'm sure there'll be thousands sold to Quad-SLI 8800GTX owners to go along with their Ageia PhysX cards and Creative Fata1ity X-Fi soundcard. Oh wait... the KillerNIC is on the PCI bus, there's no room on the motherboard for all those; silly me! :rolleyes:
Old November 6, 2006, 09:21 PM
Misoprostol

Personally I'd choose this over a physX card....

But I only have one PCI slot open, so sound card it is :)

These companies are shooting themselves in the FOOT. Here's how a meeting of a board of directors goes:

Ignorant Executive 1: "Let's launch a product aimed at the enthusiast with more money than brains

Ignorant Executive 2: "Great idea Cletus, but everything from CPUs to video cards has already been covered.... Why we even have high end 'gaming' sound cards"

Ignorant Executive 1: "Oh sh*t. Well what the hell can we possibly market to people with too much money?"

Ignorant Executive 2: "How about hard drives... WITH WINDOWS"

Ignorant Executive 1: "Everyone has windows on their hard drive. Why do you think they call it a monopoly"

Ignorant Executive 2: Not THAT kind of Windows (TM ). I mean like plexiglass windows!

Ignorant Executive 1: ......That's already been done. Western Digital went down that path.

Ignorant Executive 2: Wait.... here it is.... A NETWORK CARD!

Ignorant Executive 1: "Why, that's ingenious! Why bother eliminating the internet as a bottleneck? It's more less expensive for us to manufacture large pieces of metal on network cards than a genuinely useful piece of hardware"

Ignorant Executive 2: "You're right on. Nevermind that wireless is the future... Remember that even though this is just a network card, we have lots of high end planning to do. What sort of network card should it be?"

Ignorant Executive 1: "Well I heard of this PCI Express thing, but I'm pretty sure that the express part is optional"

Ignorant Executive 2: "You're right. Our target market is gamers with high end systems and money to blow. They have *lots* of PCI slots that won't be filled with important things like sound cards and TV tuners"

Ignorant Executive 1: "Let's get this baby to market. It's gonna be KILLER"

Ignorant Executive 2: "You're onto something! No one will want to buy a NIC when they could have a KILLER NIC"

Ignorant Executive 1: Gentlemen (note right now that there are only actually two executives present including the speaker. This should accurately reflect the intelligence of Exec1) we have our product.
Old March 29, 2007, 10:03 AM
Top Prospect

LOL!!!
Old April 2, 2007, 07:58 PM
Rookie

Default now ain't that a joke

250 bucks for a NIC card, hey, i like the ONE USB port
Old June 18, 2007, 07:23 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Yet another review on this one......

techPowerUp! Review :: Bigfoot Networks Killer NIC M1 :: Page 1 / 9

They're making some pretty hefty claims.

One of the things I didn't realise (didn't pay that much attention to it) was the fact that it incorporates a mini-pc and that the USB port can be connected to an external drive to allow stand-alone torrent use.

Still an awful lot of money, but if it can actually deliver FPS, in FPS games maybe there is a market for it.

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 2X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / 250G Samsung 840 Series SSD / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 22" Dell IPS / 1X 22" HP
Old June 18, 2007, 08:21 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I have looked @ these a few times if it work it would be sweet in 2142, but for the price forget it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.0charlie View Post
My knuckles are bleeding from fishing through walls a new CAT6 network cable... I found fresh, untapped electrical outlets...
"It's all in the Reflexes"-Jack Burton
Old June 18, 2007, 08:30 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Well, if folks are willing to spend real world money for uber items to equip their on-line personas, I can see them being willing to put up the cash for an extra 10-20 FPS.

This of course is if it actually works.

There must be some form of on-line benchmark which could give us something other than subjective "i went into the same areas and tried to do the same things" readings.

The theory behind seems to be sound, I'm just not convinced yet that real world apps would show much benefit.

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 2X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / 250G Samsung 840 Series SSD / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 22" Dell IPS / 1X 22" HP
Old September 22, 2007, 09:35 AM
Top Prospect

i realy like this product and i would buy one since i do mostly online gaming only if the price was lower, hopefully the price will drop in the future and ill pick one up
Old September 22, 2007, 10:52 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

It helps in a few games, but it's not worth the cost. The card is not going to increase the speed of your Internet connection, if anything it will increase the speed going from your PC to your modem, but on average your connection from a 100 Mbps NIC to the cable/DSL modem is between 1ms to 5ms you will not notice a difference when you are doing online gaming. The only way you will notice a difference is if you run benchmarks. IMO this card is a complete waste of money and is worthless crap

Next Build: E5200 @ 3.6GHz (333x11) | Xigmatek HDT-RS1283 HSF | Biostar TP43D2-A7 | Mushkin Redlines DDR2-1000 @ DDR2-999 5-5-5-12
EVGA 9600 GT 512MB - 650MHz - 1800MHz - 1626MHz | Seagate 'Cuda 250GB 7200rpm SATA2 | Corsair VX550 | CM690 - Custom Atomic Orange Pearl

[Heatware]
[eBay]
[Rosetta]
BALISTX.com