Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > Networking

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 23, 2009, 11:26 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Default Laptop Backup - Media files

Hi,

I will be receiving a laptop soon. I would like to set a easy backup system and maybe use the storage for large media files. Being able to get my torrents straight to it would be a plus. I was thinking about an e sata hard dive enclosure, wich I would kept plugged and schedule regular backup.

Now, anyone know of a good solution ? Extra point for easy software solution, one were I could just set up a periodical back up and forget about it. Enclosure wise, I saw the black widow from thermatake E sata + usb connection and not to expensive. The girlfriend Liked the look of the Lacie you can find in all the futureshop.

Now, the Hardware geek in me was also thinking about taking it up a notch. What about ethernet speed ? I could get some king of unit or file server, plug it to my router and use wireless or wired connection from the laptop to backup and / or torrent directly onto the drives. Now, would my operating system on the laptop see the network drive has a hardive and I could assign my torrents/backup to them ? And what kind of unit I could use ? I was thinking not to expensive, something like this the dlink..

aybody using theses kind of hardware ?

Sold hardware again.....
Currently using WHS hardware....
Old November 23, 2009, 11:28 AM
3.0 "I kill SR2's" Charlie
F@H

My System Specs

I may have a Dlink DNS-323 with dual 1TB Hitachi HDDs available very shortly that would fit your bill perfectly...
Old November 23, 2009, 11:33 AM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Acronis True Image Home 2010 can do auto backups for you. IIRC the home versions will backup to a NAS. Pretty straight forward.

If you are looking for a NAS (network attached storage) QNAP, and Synology both make some good and fairly resaonable 2 bay versions. Throw in a two cheap HDDS and its a good way to get started. Look in the B/S/T area...you never know when a QNAP 209 Pro Turbo will be coming up for sale ;)

IF you have an old pc laying around....drop FreeNAS onto it and make your own NAS on the VERY cheap. :)

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old November 23, 2009, 11:38 AM
Banned
F@H

Microsoft HomeServer it will back up your laptop, even create a restore, easy to share better than raid 1 , it duplicate files on 2 HD, easy to add more storage.. it's MS so nothing new to learn ..few exemple... ( but the best is to build it your self )

NCIX.com - Buy Acer Aspire Easystore H340 Home Server Intel Atom 2GB 1TB GBLAN 4 Bay Hotswap Windows Home Server - PG.T170W.007 In Canada.

NCIX.com - Buy Acer Aspire Easystore H340 Home Server Intel Atom 2GB 1TB GBLAN 4 Bay Hotswap Windows Home Server - PG.T170W.007 In Canada.
Old November 23, 2009, 12:31 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

acer inspire is sure nice, but expensive. I guess with the atom, it becomes a computer on itself.... so more control over it.... Altough I could build a cheap atom... wow possibilities. selling my rig was supposed to save me money not cost more.

Charlie, when you are ready to sell drop me a pm :)

Sold hardware again.....
Currently using WHS hardware....
Old November 23, 2009, 12:35 PM
Banned
F@H

HomeServer is a full OS , it's base on 2003 server... all you have to do it's put this

NCIX.com - Buy Microsoft Windows Home Server OEM RP1 OEM - CCQ-00061 In Canada.

on a pc you build, you can find a $ 50 old PIV and put it inside....just make sure to use a new , good quality drive in it . you can even use it to browse on internet. but you will need a $ 60 avast , regular anti-virus don't work on servers

Old November 23, 2009, 12:45 PM
Banned
F@H

HomeServer is only a sugestion..... NAS are nice too. I also own a LaCie , I use it for back up data of my customer before re format their drives. usb, fire wire, esata. it's complete.