Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > Networking

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 17, 2009, 05:15 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

Default Transferring Files between Vista and Win 7

I have recently upgraded my copy of Vista Ultimate on my desktop PC to Windows 7 and am trying to transfer shared files between my desktop and laptop which is running Vista Home Premium. I have not been able to get either of the computers to reconise each other either through wireless router or direct ethernet line directly from the laptop to the PC.
I have set all permissions within both running firewalls and all sharing folders are set up as they were before the win 7 upgrade and have enabled network discovery, file sharing, password protected sharing, etc. I remember even before the win 7 upgrade there were some issues with this when transfering files wirelessly but the direct wired connection always worked, just plug it in then type the IP address in the address bar, then enter UN & PW, no problem...until now! Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old November 17, 2009, 05:44 PM
"Quote This..."
F@H

It's called a 'homegroup' in win7, look up on how to set it up between win7 and vista. You can't just share folders, you have to create and join the homegroup.
Old November 17, 2009, 05:52 PM
Banned
F@H

What is the problem exactly . they don't see each other ? or you have a denied acces ,

if your wired network cards are not plug to a router before you use them pc-laptop they will not get an IP adress from the router so they may have a different subnet . and even a different network prefix so a 169.168.3.1 will not see a 192.168.1.10

you have to use the same x in xxx.xxx.xxx.yyy only the y have to be different

as exemple set manually 1 card to 192.168.0.30 and the other at 192.168.0.31 , the wire one don't touch the wireless one

Last edited by MarkOne; November 17, 2009 at 05:57 PM.
Old November 17, 2009, 05:54 PM
Banned
F@H

you don't need to joint a homegroup , win 7 handle the workgroup and the domain ( for some version ) aside vista will not be able to joint the homegroup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squeetard View Post
It's called a 'homegroup' in win7, look up on how to set it up between win7 and vista. You can't just share folders, you have to create and join the homegroup.
Old November 17, 2009, 08:55 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squeetard View Post
That feature is not necessary. In fact, I have found that the Vista and Win7 machines in my household achieve the highest transfer speeds I've ever seen to date. I can hit up to around 85MB/s (yes, MB, not Mb). Average transfer rates depend on the size of files but I can always do about 40-45MB/s. Finally when all machines are Vista or Win7, I can fully utilize my Gigabit network. The XP machines in the past wouldn't play nice with the Vista machines.
Main: Intel 2600K @ 4.8GHz | Gigabyte P67A-UD7-B3 | 16GB Corsair DDR3-2000 | 2 x 240GB Corsair Force 3 in RAID1 | 2 x 4TB Hitachi 7K4000 | 3 x 2TB WD Caviar Black | Antec 1200 | Seasonic XP-860 Platinum | 2GB GTX 670 | 2 x 27" Asus VE278Q | Asus Essence ST | Win7 Pro 64-bit
Old November 18, 2009, 10:58 AM
Rookie

My System Specs

Yeah both computers are not 'seeing' each other. My laptop (running vista) can see all the computers running vista and XP (I belive) so the problem must be within the Win7 setup. My desktop (running Win7) is wired to the router in which I have statically set the IP address for the DHCP to 192.168.0.100 (router gateway 192.168.0.2) and also set statically my laptop to 192.168.0.114 which how it has been for a long time and worked before I upgraded from Vista to Win7. Since my mobo for my desktop has dual lan (one line connected to the router) I use the other one to connect directly to my laptop in which I go into my laptop and have to connect directly to the IP address of the second LAN port which always worked when both systems were running Vista but can't even reconise the other system now after upgrading to Win7.
Old November 18, 2009, 01:00 PM
Banned
F@H

I can asure you it's not a win 7 problem. I just receive my new Dell Latitude with win 7 pro this afternoon, and I have acces to all my network xp. vista, 2003, 2008 and even some linux .. I just change the workgroup name..no other adjustment.
Old November 18, 2009, 04:03 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

Yeah I didn't that it was a problem with win7 but that the problem must reside within the computer running windows 7. So creating a homegroup wouldn't do anything for me? That's just for win7 right? I'm at the university now so don't have access to my desktop but I'll try screwing around with the workgroup setting when I get home.
Old November 19, 2009, 08:59 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Did you check your BIOS and make sure the second LAN is active?
Old November 19, 2009, 05:57 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

Alright so fixed my problem for the most part however still running into a bit of a rut.

I figured that there may have been a conflict between the two different versions of bitdefender that I was running (2010 on win7, 2009 on vista). So I upgraded the 2009 version so they are now the same and was able to go in and allow for specific adapters, IP and MAC addresses, so now I'm getting visiblilty from both computers.

Via the wireless connection, besides getting full visibility, I can browse and transfer my desktop files from my laptop but NOT vice versa. When I try to connect from desktop to laptop, the icon is there but get an error saying that "the network path was not found". Same thing if I try to connect to any other computer in the network.

Also the wired connection works fine if I connect to the desktop from the laptop but again NOT vice versa. When I try to connect to my laptop via wired connection, I get the logon prompt however it tries to logon under the domain of my desktop so how can I change that so that it is expecting to logon as a user under my laptop?