Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > Networking

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 15, 2009, 03:09 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Why dont you just setup WEP or WPA or something. Step 1 is getting a new roommate.
Old November 15, 2009, 03:25 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by headsh0t View Post
Why dont you just setup WEP or WPA or something. Step 1 is getting a new roommate.
Yeah really. Confront him and ask him why he's doing it. Maybe come to some kind of agreement so you can share it with him? I don't know.

I surely wouldn't want to live with somebody who constantly "hacks" into my network. That is just disrespectful and dishonest. Who knows what else he is tampering with or stealing of yours...
Old November 15, 2009, 03:28 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Obvious your roommate is not trustworthy. Break his legs....
Old November 15, 2009, 03:56 PM
F@H

My System Specs

If he really is hacking into it I'd be looking for a keylogger on your PC, and/or some form of "hidden" adhoc wireless connection going through your wireless card.

How did you do the initial security setup? Did you use an ethernet connection (with your wireless card turned off.... ) or did you connect wirelessly? If you initially set it up using wireless, get somebody else's laptop (in case he's got a remote keylogger on your system), reset your router to factory defaults, connect the second laptop with an ethernet cable to the router and set your security including a strong admin password. Keep in mind that wireless security is an oxymoron, if it's out there for somebody to "sniff", then there is always a way to crack it. (Hence the recommendation to set it up using an ethernet cable).

This is pretty well as paranoid as you can get for a private network, I'd still lean towards some form of "social engineering" method rather than outright hacking of your router, or something on your PC.

The

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 2X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / 320G Seagate Momentus / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 22" Dell IPS / 1X 22" HP
Old November 15, 2009, 05:25 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

If you were, really, really, really devoted to butt heads with him without talking to him. You can install third party firmware like DD-WRT with logging up, MAC filtering and run WPA2-AES with a 63-character randomly generated password from one of those randomizer sites. If you see suspicious activity, just change the password. It takes a fair amount of time to crack a 256-bit AES password. Even if you're spamming the router with generated traffic.

Unless you're like those Japanese dudes who cracked WPA2-AES in like 2 minutes.
Old November 15, 2009, 05:31 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by ayah View Post

Hopefully your roommate is not Japanese
Old November 15, 2009, 05:45 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

If he's using your network run a MSN Messenger sniffing tool that will log all his messages. Maybe he'll spill the beans to someone else.

Tit for tat.

Wireless sucks. I outright disabled mine.
Old November 15, 2009, 06:27 PM
Top Prospect
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by ayah View Post
Do you have more info about this ? As far as I know, there has been no such serious weakness discovered with WPA2-PSK AES. WPA2-PSK AES is only vulnerable if a weak passphrase is used. By choosing a strong passphrase, no one will be able to break into your wireless network, at least until a serious weakness in the protocol is discovered (which has not publicly happened yet, as far as I am aware of).

Also, WEP offers no real security. Worst, it gives you a false sense of security. It takes an incredibly short amount of time to break a WEP enabled wireless network.

Old November 15, 2009, 06:56 PM
Banned
F@H

time to ask this guy to have a chat with your room mate

Old November 15, 2009, 11:03 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I truthfully believe he does not have the know how to do this himself. my guess is that he used a premade script to break the password and reset to factory defaults. my internet is still flaky at best right now. no I don't have the password saved on my computer. I do not have any data I would be afraid of him getting on my computer anyways. we are already sharing the network so it is not like he hacked his way in in the first place. I am not using mac address filtering, he set it up to temporarily block me from accessing the internet so i could not hand in documentation that is worth 45% of our current project.
to give you an idea of how incompetent he is, he thought cain and able could hack any password in the world almost instantly.

I'm sorry july, I couldn't see you behind all that feruary.