Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > Networking

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 3, 2009, 02:12 PM
Rookie

Default DSL Line Trouble

So i'm having some problems with my new bell internet. yesterday when i set it up, everything was fine, worked smoothly. i come home today from school, having my mom tel me the internet isn't working. i check all the connection and all, everything is fine, all filters and such.
I proceed to call Bell. Little help from them. all i was told was to power cycle my modem. did everything she told me. then i got put through to a technician. well he wasnt much help either. especially considering that my dad setup the internet to go through our 2nd phone number, ending in 9006. so i hooked it up to that number. now i have this technician telling me that out internet is setup under the number ending with 9010. so i said fine, even though it doesnt make sense to me why it worked yesterday. i changed it, plugged in all the right filters and all, and no change. now he tells me i need to book an appointment for a technician to come to my houe to check the line.

this is my setup now.

Wall jack -- splitter -- filter -- phone
|
straight to dsl modem (no filters)

on my modem, all the lights are solid green, minus the dsl which flashed green, and the intrnet light, which doesnt light up at all.

even if the number under which the internet is hooked up under is the wrong one, how does it make sense that it worked yesterday, but today it isnt working, and when i switch to the right phone number, it still doesnt work?

can someone give me some insight on whats going on? i'm so confused with what to do, and bell isnt helping me much.

also my router is a 2wire(?) 2702 or 2701. its white.

thanks for any help.
Old November 3, 2009, 05:52 PM
Hall Of Fame

Your modem is plugged into a splitter? If so that might be an issue. Not all splitters are.. great. Its a common issue with dsl.

Teletraan I: Asus P5K-E/WIFI, E4500, 2 GB RAM, ATI 3450, Sapphire Theatrix, 2.25TB storage, Antec SP2 400w

Galvatron: Asus M2NPV-VM, 3800+ X2, 2GB RAM, NV8500GT, Seasonic 500w

Tracks: Acer AS5920, C2D 2.1ghz 45nm, 3GB DDR2, NV8600m GT, 250gb hdd

Hound: Gigabyte GA-MA74GM-S, AMD 4400+ X2, 1 GB RAM, 2900XT, 500w Seasonic

My Heatware!
| Got RMA? Tell us your experience! | VOIP Help? PM ME!
Old November 3, 2009, 06:57 PM
Rookie

right now i'm using the one that was included in box. but i'll try the one i had before.

also some help with the older splitter i have from before. there are 3 plugs. the 2 beside each other on the same side are dsl and line. and the 3rd on the opposite side says phone. so do i got straight from the wall jack with the rj11 into the phone plug, and then split it into dsl and the phone on the same line?

and i cant really unplug the phone on the line because its my dad's business phone, so it has to be plugged in.

Last edited by newagebiker; November 3, 2009 at 07:02 PM.
Old November 4, 2009, 08:09 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Feasible that your modem is bad, or the outside line is faulty. Thus why a technician needs to come in your house and check such things.

Has it been raining lately? If so, water could of got inside the telephone lines which is causing the problem.

There's far too many variables with DSL, so really just book the appointment and have somebody be home at the time.
Old November 5, 2009, 04:36 PM
Rookie

This is what the technician told me.
Our internet was hooked up to the new fibre optic station they built just down the street, but they hadn't activated/connected the fibre optic station to the main station.
Old November 5, 2009, 06:09 PM
Banned
F@H

if the dsl light is flashing it's because no dsl on that line , try to plug it on the other line, you have 99 % of chance that it’s on the other line or someone at the central make a mistake and unplug the dsl module, knowing them I don’t believe it’s the modem. Every time I deal with bell they make a mistake in their work order. I don’t know in English but in French the customer service is in Tunisia.

I have a similar problem with those *&?*&? of bell ...I use to have a line for my dial up modem, when the dsl finally come here, I ask them, to install the dsl on my house line not the fax one, for after unplug the fax one. As usually they do wrong and install it on the fax. i call them 5 times over a period of 1 year, they always told me that my modem is on the main line, and i'm may be confusing the plus on the wall. finally they agree to send a tech here, the girl after 10 sec realize than i was right, so switch the dsl on the main line, after i call to disconnect the fax line , guest what they cut the main one, when i call they said i have to pay $ 50 to reconnect . after give them treat to bring them in small court for the trouble the guy in Tunisia ( can you believe it,) transfer me to a guy I montreal, and we fix the problem… but still after 4 month they still charge that line and said I will be credited next month…. For an amount of xx dollars and xx centimes ,,, yes you read well the guy say centimes ( like in france, ) Good thing I never subscribe to the direct withdraw….
Old November 5, 2009, 08:00 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by newagebiker View Post
This is what the technician told me.
Our internet was hooked up to the new fibre optic station they built just down the street, but they hadn't activated/connected the fibre optic station to the main station.
lol that's quite the screw up.