Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > Networking

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 30, 2009, 04:39 PM
Rookie

Default How to change the network adapter a program uses?

Say my program says "Plug a cable into the network adapter "Local Area Connection 2"".
I dont have 2 friggin cables and the program worked fine before. How to i make it connect to Local Area Connection (1)?
Old October 30, 2009, 05:39 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

This may work... it'll make your desired network more attractive to your program. It's like Sex Panther cologne. 60% of the time it works every time.

Re-prioritize your network adapter order:

For XP/2000: Start > Control Panel > Network Connections, then, on the menu bar, click Advanced > Advanced Settings and put the NIC you want at the top of the list.

For Vista: Start > Control Panel > Network and Sharing Center, then, on the left side panel, click on 'Manage Network Connections'. Now press Alt, click on Advanced > Advanced Settings and put the NIC you want at the top of the list.

For Windows 7: Start > Control Panel > Network and Sharing Center, then, on the left side panel, click on 'Change adapter settings'. Now press Alt, click on Advanced > Advanced Settings and put the NIC you want at the top of the list.
Old October 30, 2009, 05:44 PM
F@H

My System Specs

I would just disable the 2nd NIC that you don't use.
Old October 30, 2009, 05:49 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Heh, or that!

But why make it easy if you can make it complicated?!
Old October 30, 2009, 06:36 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I kind of have a similar problem. I am trying to set up a wired share to stream movies across; but I use wireless for internet and whenever I connect to the file share no matter what I have it set to it uses the wired for the access to the internet. if possible I would like to be able to have the file share up and still access the internet, optimally I would like to also share internet across the share. I have tried bridging the connections when the wired connection is unplugged but it cant connect to the switch once it is bridged but the source computer still has access to the internet, and if I have them both connected when I bridge them they connect but I cant get internet on anything. any ideas on what I can try to do?

I'm sorry july, I couldn't see you behind all that feruary.
Old October 30, 2009, 08:34 PM
"Quote This..."
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perineum View Post
This may work... it'll make your desired network more attractive to your program. It's like Sex Panther cologne. 60% of the time it works every time.
haha awesome, I love you man.
Old October 30, 2009, 09:28 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perineum View Post
Heh, or that!

But why make it easy if you can make it complicated?!
Typical Windows user thinking

Why make things easy when they could be harder?!
Old November 8, 2009, 05:03 PM
Banned

My System Specs

You might be able to make a bridged adapter too, I don't know if it would help if your other nic doesn't have an ethernet cable but it's worth a try..

select both local area connections, right click and go to make bridged connection .. or something like that