Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > Networking

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 18, 2009, 09:51 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Default little help with wifi

Ok this is kind of a understatement I don't want to go wireless internet I just want to have wifi out/in from my 1 machine that is wired to the internet with a (pci/usb hardware) if there is such a thing.
Which ever will work to a couple of netbooks/and wife devices like apple ipod touch and stuff like that.
Is there away to do this I have looked but all I keep finding is wireless internet from the router ( which i don't want to do ) any help or links to hardware would help a million thank

p.s I know nothing about wireless have had no use for it and still really don't just need basic wifi
Old October 18, 2009, 09:58 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Im a bit confused by what you're asking to do. However, if I'm understanding you right I think a wireless router IS what you want. If you want to connect multiple things to your PC/network, a router is the easiest and best way to do it. In addition to that, a wireless router (nowadays) has ~4 LAN ports on it too, for wired access.

Its not wireless internet (like, say a Cell phone) by getting a wireless router. It sill uses your home "Hard-Wired" internet. You connect your modem (be it DSL, Cable, or Satellite box) to a port on the router via ethernet cable. Your router then is the same as a cable splitter box, but splits it wireless to the devices that use wifi. Well, atleast thats a really basic breakdown. But I think it covers the points you're asking for.
My Disclaimer to any advice or comment I make;
Quote:
Originally Posted by CroSsFiRe2009 View Post
I'm a self certified whizbang repair technician with 20 years of professional bullshit so I don't know what I'm talking about
Old October 18, 2009, 10:04 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

yes it does but i have a router that's wired and do not want to buy another router ( in fact i have several wired ones )
was hoping there was some kind of usb dongle/pci card that i could set up to send out wireless from the machine that's all ready got internet
( I don't want to start down the wireless path. Wife asked if it could be done for just here laptop/netbook )
thank sagath
Old October 18, 2009, 10:08 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by gingerbee View Post
yes it does but i have a router that's wired and do not want to buy another router ( in fact i have several wired ones )
was hoping there was some kind of usb dongle/pci card that i could set up to send out wireless from the machine that's all ready got internet
( I don't want to start down the wireless path. Wife asked if it could be done for just here laptop/netbook )
thank sagath
You can usually set up a wifi PCI addin card for ad-hoc or whatever its called, and do it that way. Its more or less the same as a router, but a different configuration. But for the price of the card, again, I would just make life easy and get a router. *shrug*

Whats your/her opposition to the 'wireless path'? Wireless is wireless regardless how you set it up. If its a security issue, even the PCI add-in way will have the same 'flaws' as a router based configuration. But the router based ...route... (lol) will have many more benefits then the pci-add in.
Quote:
I'm a self certified whizbang repair technician with 20 years of professional bullshit so I don't know what I'm talking about
Old October 18, 2009, 10:19 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

so what your telling me is it's just going to be simpler to setup a router then trying to broadcast wifi from a pci card and that they both have the same security issues
just out of curiosity could you link any pci cards that can send /receive wife ( wondering if i have been looking at them this whole time LOL )
My issues with wifi are just that there's a lot of machine in my house so setting it up getting everyone online ( I have to learn something that i am really not that into wireless and yes i know get off my lazy ass and do it LOL)

Thanks a lot Sagath
Old October 18, 2009, 10:22 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

is wifi and wireless the same thing?
Old October 18, 2009, 10:24 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
so what your telling me is it's just going to be simpler to setup a router then trying to broadcast wifi from a pci card and that they both have the same security issues
just out of curiosity could you link any pci cards that can send /receive wife ( wondering if i have been looking at them this whole time LOL )
My issues with wifi are just that there's a lot of machine in my house so setting it up getting everyone online ( I have to learn something that i am really not that into wireless and yes i know get off my lazy ass and do it LOL)

Thanks a lot Sagath
I'm not sure offhand of models. I'm, say, 95% positive any add-in card can do it. I know my old mobo's built in ASUS P5K wifi one could...so yeah, you probably can use any of the ones you've been looking at :)

As I said tho. Wireless Routers still have 4 LAN ports for wired access, so I'm sure you could just drop it in to your current wired setup for your network without issues. Unless you're using an 8 port wired router. But even then, you could just router to router it and not change anything. Too easy!

Just think of the wireless as a wired LAN port that doesnt need a wire. I think thats where your confusion is lying.
Quote:
Old October 18, 2009, 10:27 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
is wifi and wireless the same thing?
Yes. Just a modern slang. Easier to say "WIFI HERE!" then "wireless internet access here" etc
Quote:
Old October 18, 2009, 10:28 AM
Hall Of Fame

Wifi and wireless are the same thing.

If you get a wireless card you can sometimes set them up as an access point and use them sometimes for sharing.

You'll have to do some research on which cards support this the best but I have a feeling a linksys card can do this.

But as mentioned your going to be paying probably more for a wireless card to do this then the cost of a wireless router.
Old October 18, 2009, 10:43 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

thank for all the info @ Sagath i just sold bt that mother board that's why i was think that it was easy cause that board said that it was a simple setup that's why i thought it might be a common thing to do thank again guys
any recommends on a really easy router to setup and port forward I think thats what it's called