Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > Networking

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 31, 2007, 06:59 AM
Top Prospect

Default Friend(ly) Network

I live in a town that does not (to my knowlage) have cable DSL. So
I want to use the existing cable to create a sort of personal internet for me and my friends in the town. The reason I want to do this is because if its a straight network, our internet would be shared, and I wouldn't want that. What would it cost me in setting up stuff like that (control box, Ethernet transceivers, etc.)? Software won't be a problem since we'll just use VPN programs like Hamachi or OpenVPN (which would prevent internet sharing).
If one of you people will help me, please share as much as you can. I can attain the materials via ebay or some other place. And can you configure an old PC so it would be like a internet control box (distributing IP addresss and the like)?

Thank you for your time.
Old August 31, 2007, 07:46 AM
F@H

My System Specs

I'm guessing that you're looking for information on some form of "mesh" network.....

It looked like quite an interesting concept when it first came out and promised to extend the usefulness of older PCs when outfitted with a relatively inexpensive wireless NIC.

Here's a start (not a lot of info, but hopefully some of the links will get you more of what you need)......

Wireless community network - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Depending on where you are, you may want to check with municipal / provincial & federal sources to see if there are still programs out there which help outlying communities get some form of high speed.

There was a program 10 years ago which would help put highspeed & computer resources into smaller communities provided they allowed community access. I don't know if it's still operating, but it would be worth checking into.

You can try this Google search as well for more links..... sharing wireless network community - Google Search=

Be sure to let us what you come up with and how you make out. Sounds like an interesting project.

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 2X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / 320G Seagate Momentus / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 22" Dell IPS / 1X 22" HP

Last edited by sswilson; August 31, 2007 at 07:56 AM.
Old September 1, 2007, 06:03 PM
Top Prospect

Incorrect. I want to use the towns existing cable lines to make my own sort of internet for the town only. A web that will not allow people to use other peoples internet down the street. I simply want to make some sort of network between me and my friends house via cable. The distance between friend "A" is roughly 600 feet cable wise. Friend "B" is more than 1000 feet away cable wise but friend "A" is in between. A bi-directional amplifier would do the trick. I would just need to make a low power, low mantinence box to dynamicly distribute IP addresses to me and my friends. Unless there is a simpler way that foregoes the box, Ill go that route. If you can help me and understand what I want to do, im open to suggestions.
Old September 1, 2007, 06:09 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mysteryous View Post
Incorrect. I want to use the towns existing cable lines to make my own sort of internet for the town only. A web that will not allow people to use other peoples internet down the street. I simply want to make some sort of network between me and my friends house via cable. The distance between friend "A" is roughly 600 feet cable wise. Friend "B" is more than 1000 feet away cable wise but friend "A" is in between. A bi-directional amplifier would do the trick. I would just need to make a low power, low mantinence box to dynamicly distribute IP addresses to me and my friends. Unless there is a simpler way that foregoes the box, Ill go that route. If you can help me and understand what I want to do, im open to suggestions.
I'm obviously missing something here.... are you saying that you want to physically run cable between the houses?

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 2X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / 320G Seagate Momentus / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 22" Dell IPS / 1X 22" HP
Old September 1, 2007, 07:58 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Hmmm, I highly doubt the city will let you run cables, that far, between houses. If it was your next door neighbour, you could probably sneak it by.

If you want to do such a thing, you are going to have to use wireless with some pretty large antennas/high gain.

If all your friends already have Internet then I don't really see the point as much. You could just use VPN to connect to each other without buying anything more.
Old September 1, 2007, 11:04 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Although a very interesting concept it won't work. How are you getting connected to an existing ISP, you would have use an existing Dial-up provider in your area. Sharing a dial-up connection is kinda useless. You are going to be bottlenecked once you hit that connection. You can't just hookup a cable line to a cable modem and expect to get Internet, that's not how it works. How cable Internet works is like this.

DHCP located an regional distribution center runs fiber lines to nodes, then from each node runs cable lines to the houses, into the existing or new cable lines in the house, which goes to a cable modem, that picks up the signal from the node. Now in order to do that the cable modem has to be provisioned bye the cable modem MAC ID being registered with the DHCP server and allows you access.

Another important question, who is going to be providing your backbone, if you want to run a cable internet service you need a backbone such as Rogers to connect to and obtaining access to that backbone is not cheap.

The reason why you don't see cable Internet in small towns is because it's not worth the cable company's time and money. It would cost more for them to lay new fiber lines to replace the existing cable then they could get from the amount of customers in the area. If that wasn't the case your local cable company would have Cable Internet in your area already.

Next Build: E5200 @ 3.6GHz (333x11) | Xigmatek HDT-RS1283 HSF | Biostar TP43D2-A7 | Mushkin Redlines DDR2-1000 @ DDR2-999 5-5-5-12
EVGA 9600 GT 512MB - 650MHz - 1800MHz - 1626MHz | Seagate 'Cuda 250GB 7200rpm SATA2 | Corsair VX550 | CM690 - Custom Atomic Orange Pearl

[Heatware]
[eBay]
[Rosetta]
BALISTX.com

Last edited by BALISTX; September 1, 2007 at 11:10 PM.
Old September 2, 2007, 04:59 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
I want to use the towns existing cable lines to make my own sort of internet for the town only.
Just noticed this.....

Did the cable company go Kaput, and the existing lines are now the property of the town?

Old September 4, 2007, 06:42 AM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by BALISTX View Post
Although a very interesting concept it won't work. How are you getting connected to an existing ISP, you would have use an existing Dial-up provider in your area. Sharing a dial-up connection is kinda useless. You are going to be bottlenecked once you hit that connection. You can't just hookup a cable line to a cable modem and expect to get Internet, that's not how it works. How cable Internet works is like this.

DHCP located an regional distribution center runs fiber lines to nodes, then from each node runs cable lines to the houses, into the existing or new cable lines in the house, which goes to a cable modem, that picks up the signal from the node. Now in order to do that the cable modem has to be provisioned bye the cable modem MAC ID being registered with the DHCP server and allows you access.

Another important question, who is going to be providing your backbone, if you want to run a cable internet service you need a backbone such as Rogers to connect to and obtaining access to that backbone is not cheap.

The reason why you don't see cable Internet in small towns is because it's not worth the cable company's time and money. It would cost more for them to lay new fiber lines to replace the existing cable then they could get from the amount of customers in the area. If that wasn't the case your local cable company would have Cable Internet in your area already.

:rtfm:
1: I don't want to share internet connections because I will (eventually) get high speed and they have dial-up. Your right, its absolutely useless. And while cable is offered to some small towns, mine is not that fortunate. The cable comes frome a town 40 miles away when a city with Charter is only 12 miles away. So therefore I want to use the existing TV cable that is strung in town to create a network, a sort of private internet where the influence of the big internet has little to no effect on this whatsoever. And I would house the server if there was to be one. It shouldn't take any kind of fast computer to manage dynamic IP addresss. If it comes to it, I may have to draw it out to you all.
Old September 4, 2007, 09:01 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

first off unless you personally own the lines you will probably have to get approval from the current owner of the cable lines. If your talking about using cable like the cable vision then that could open a whole can of trouble since then you will have to multiplex your signal or it could interfere with any services said line is currently offering. Not to mention a deployment on this scale would be very expensive. If you must have high speed internet now then i would recommend either getting wireless (if it is offered), satellite or just complain enough to your telco until they put in a dslam in your area. Other than that you may be SOL.

Old September 5, 2007, 06:59 AM
Top Prospect

:rtfm:

No one is getting it. A drawing will soon follow.