Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > Networking

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 5, 2009, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by enaberif View Post
I agree.

Tho one point Linus didn't mention about wireless is that it may not always work if the outlets are on different circuits which is a problem some people seem to have.

The other downside of powerline is the initial costs too. Its cheaper to go wired/wireless than powerline.
Newer powerline kits can actually bridge circuits. I took that powerline kit all over our warehouse and it worked (with the Tech Tips room as the home base) EVERYWHERE. Next to the breaker box, far away from the breaker box, one side of the warehouse, the other side of the warehouse, the lunch room, the office spaces, right next to the tech tips room.

I used a laptop to run my tests and make sure that this kit was the shizzle before we featured it.

And yes, powerline has a cost of entry barrier, but if you save money on the wireless router you no longer need, it's not as bad as it seems.

/me is totally sold on powerline

For faster (and official) NCIX service please contact our customer care team at www.NCIX.com (Canada) or www.NCIXUS.com (USA)

Heatware: http://heatware.com/eval.php?id=25647
Old October 5, 2009, 12:00 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linus View Post
Newer powerline kits can actually bridge circuits. I took that powerline kit all over our warehouse and it worked (with the Tech Tips room as the home base) EVERYWHERE. Next to the breaker box, far away from the breaker box, one side of the warehouse, the other side of the warehouse, the lunch room, the office spaces, right next to the tech tips room.

I used a laptop to run my tests and make sure that this kit was the shizzle before we featured it.

And yes, powerline has a cost of entry barrier, but if you save money on the wireless router you no longer need, it's not as bad as it seems.

/me is totally sold on powerline
I've liked powerline since it came out as for a lot of people wireless as you say can be extremely sketchy and work like utter crap.

Its good to know that its capable of bridging circuits now so that you don't run into those problems.

Perhaps I'll have to look into one so I no longer have to run a 50 foot cat5e cable across my suite.
Old October 5, 2009, 12:09 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I just wish they had more speed.... 500mbit would be nice.
Old October 5, 2009, 03:42 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Thanks, that was very informative for me.
Old October 5, 2009, 04:08 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Great to hear that powerline tech works as advertised. Some of us tried it in the early days when it certainly wasn't ready for prime time.........

Anybody else have the misfortune to try out the passports when they were released???? :)

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 2X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / 320G Seagate Momentus / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 22" Dell IPS / 1X 22" HP
Old October 5, 2009, 04:32 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Mine were the Belkin units that NCIX had on sale this past year.

Linus.... how do the Belkin stack up to what you were using? Know offhand?
Old October 5, 2009, 05:33 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Damn gotta love 100ft ethernet cables :D

I'm going to buy a 100ft cable to go to another room in my house, but since I work at an electronics store my friends got the same idea... I think they'll look at me funny when they see me purchasing 300ft of ethernet cable.
Old October 5, 2009, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perineum View Post
Mine were the Belkin units that NCIX had on sale this past year.

Linus.... how do the Belkin stack up to what you were using? Know offhand?
That Belkin unit on sale is the one that got me started on powerline. I have 3 adapters at home and I love it.

It's just slow compared to this one. Only about 1MB/s real world in my house.

For faster (and official) NCIX service please contact our customer care team at www.NCIX.com (Canada) or www.NCIXUS.com (USA)

Heatware: http://heatware.com/eval.php?id=25647
Old October 5, 2009, 06:11 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

I actually never knew about powerline until your review. I thought it was super informative!
Old October 5, 2009, 06:18 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Yeah, I get 600K/sec from these Belkin ones here...