Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > Networking

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old September 19, 2009, 09:05 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Default Question about switches and routers

I bought a cheap gigabite 8 port networking switch and I've got a few questions on how it is best to set up.

I know i go router -> switch -> computers, but if i put all my computers onto the switch, i read somewhere that it is hard to port foreward. So, if I left my gaming computer on the router and attached all the other computers to the switch, is that a good idea?
Old September 19, 2009, 09:13 AM
F@H

My System Specs

You really don't have to put your computer on the router for port forwarding. Port forwarding works with whatever IP address was assigned for it to forward, so if your computer is 192.168.0.110 and you set port forwarding for that ip address then you have no problems at all. Speaking from personal experience i've never had problems with port forwarding or port issues sitting behind my router then switch then computer as long as i forward the correct ports for my pc's IP address assigned by the router
Old September 19, 2009, 09:53 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Put all your machines on the switch, then plug the switch into the router. Plugging your main into the router directly gives you nothing....