Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > Networking

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old September 18, 2009, 11:10 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

Default Time for new router, looking to stream 720/1080p content

So, my current router, a Belkin N (forget model) is dying, slowly and need to be replaced. I just finished building my HTPC, and it is of course going in the only room in the house that isn't pre wired with cat5. I'd like too if possible stream 720/1080p files over the wireless from my media server.

What router should I be looking at (I assume a N capable router would be able to stream the HD content?), also what should I use as far as a wireless card for the HTPC. I currently have a USB dongle, but would rather replace it with a dedicated card in the machine.

I'm searching on Google at the moment, but I figured I would ask here first. I'd like to avoid the use of a power line system, but If I have to go to something like that I will consider it, as a last resort if course.

Cheers.
Old September 18, 2009, 12:13 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

generally speaking streaming 1080p hi def content is not advisable over wireless since one of a hundred different things could cause issues with wireless. (i have tried this and find wired is still the best solution). But if you must attempt to stream the content wirelessly then i would look at something from linksys (that allows you to flash the firmware with tomato or dd-wrt or a netgear prosafe). The other question is how much content are we talking (would it fit on a usb drive or a small stand alone nas)

Old September 18, 2009, 12:20 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

The majority of the content is 720p ripped tv shows, but I do have a small amount of 1080p mkv blue ray rips as well. And, unfortunately we are talking 3-4 terabytes of data, stored on a separate HP media server. I'm about to test my current router, to see what happens, but it still needs to be replaced. It loses it's connection and constantly reboots every few hours or so. It's been a piece of crap since day one so I can't wait to get rid of it.
Old September 18, 2009, 12:40 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

hmm, in that case i would recommend something from linksys (with aformentioned 3rd party firmware) or a netgear prosafe wireless router. Or look at running a wired cable. I really think that personally you will have a better experience going wired vs wireless. But then again i live in an aptartment so it's easy for me to run cable (i staple gun it to the base boards.) :). or you could get something like the Sansdigital E-Sata expanders there should be more than enough bandwidth for the videos your talking about. since it takes up to 8 drives thats theoritcally a max of 16TB of raw storage by todays hdd standards.

Old September 18, 2009, 05:26 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I'll be purchasing a Buffalo WHR-HP-G54 tonight and will be loading DD-WRT on it. As far as I know, it was highly recommended, and I believe it still is. It's that good of a router.

As for streaming HD content, I'm not sure because I've never streamed HD content before. I have streamed normal SD content before and it takes around 5s for the video to start after I click on it and open the file.
Old September 18, 2009, 06:22 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Well my current setup is a Belkin F5D8231-4 and my HTPC is connected via a Linksys WUSB300N. I think I may have fixed the router for the time being, as it hasn't rebooted since my last message, but only time will tell.

I did get a chance to test streaming 720p content, and it played without issues. I ended spending all my time on the router, reloading firmware, and playing with settings. I'll give the 1080p stuff a go tomorrow and report back.
Old October 6, 2009, 08:07 PM
Allstar

Well Im able to do it with a D-link 655.

Works great, Router is in the Basement. Streaming to my PS3 on the 3rd floor.
Old October 7, 2009, 05:58 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chromey View Post
Well Im able to do it with a D-link 655.

Works great, Router is in the Basement. Streaming to my PS3 on the 3rd floor.
Same here, 300Mbps wireless link to laptops, and MKV 1080p plays fine over wireless.

Though the DIR-655 isn't the most stable router, takes some tweaking to get it stable, at least with mine.