Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > Networking

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 26, 2009, 05:03 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Default WRT54GS Dying?

I believe my router is dying or it's something up with the firmware. I'm currently using the BS12638 build.

Before, my router was running perfectly with DD-WRT. Everything would work nice and smoothly even if I was torrenting a lot of files. However for this summer, I've been experiencing problems with the router. IT started off with me losing my connection on Windows Live Messenger while BTing. Now, even when the router's not doing anything and I'm just surfing the web, I fail to send and receive like half of my messages and my browser is loading pages slowly, and sometimes not loading them at all.

I currently have my computer plugged in directly to the modem to see if it was my router or modem that was acting up, and for the past 45 minutes or so, everything's been going well.
Old August 26, 2009, 05:09 PM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

You try running latest proper firmware?
Fold for team #54196
Old August 26, 2009, 05:16 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriskwarren View Post
You try running latest proper firmware?
You mean the Linksys firmware? Nope. They gave me nothing but problems. DD-WRT is way better.

I should add that I've been using DD-WRT on this router for a few years now. I do upgrade the firmware like every 3 months or so, but lately, every time a new build is out as I'm trying to figure out what's wrong with the router. I posted over at DD-WRT and only one guy is replying to my thread. He says that if it's not a configuration problem, then it's a hardware problem.
Old August 26, 2009, 05:27 PM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

I was going to ask about any new phones, microwaves, etc. but those would impact all you data I assume. You seem to be having issues with certain types of traffic (at least at first).

Before tossing out the router I would still try standard firmware.
Fold for team #54196
Old August 26, 2009, 06:02 PM
F@H

My System Specs

It could be a faulty/unreliable build of DD-WRT as well, have you tried to roll back to the last one you know worked before you had any of these issues. Sometimes certain revisions of hardware do not like certain firmware updates
Old August 26, 2009, 07:50 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arinoth View Post
It could be a faulty/unreliable build of DD-WRT as well, have you tried to roll back to the last one you know worked before you had any of these issues. Sometimes certain revisions of hardware do not like certain firmware updates
I don't remember which revision worked well, but it was a fairly old revision where it was very buggy and stuff. SP1's not recommended by the developers and mods because it's very buggy. And I've been through the last couple of revisions.

@Chris. Yea, there's nothing new involving radio waves or anything like that, so it's either firmware or hardware related since the modem's fine. I don't mind giving the old Linksys firmware a try but they're just so bad. Plus I think there was a special way to revert back to Linksys firmware because to use DD-WRT, you have to kill the VXWorks firmware that Linksys uses.
Old August 26, 2009, 08:08 PM
Hall Of Fame

try installing a version of tomato ...search through the log and post back here or smth...
Old August 26, 2009, 11:30 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

A few years back i was just about ready to pull my hair out with router problems, turns out it was from overheating, i swear it was the last thing that i thought of, has been as solid as a rock since i did my ghetto mod.

Old August 27, 2009, 06:38 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

How'd you tell if it was overheating or not? That could be the culprit, but so far, it feels warm to the touch.

Oh, and nice mod =D
Old August 27, 2009, 06:45 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by geokilla View Post
How'd you tell if it was overheating or not? That could be the culprit, but so far, it feels warm to the touch.

Oh, and nice mod =D
Pop the cover off and see how it works.