Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > Networking

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 20, 2009, 02:49 AM
Top Prospect

Unhappy Need Help

Here's my dilemma... in the near future I will be doing a new gaming build and I am able to set it up in one of two rooms.(both of which have different needs for internet access)

Room #1: is directly above where my modem and wireless router are in my home so I would be able to run a 100 ft. network patch cable through the ceiling for direct internet access for only about 20 bucks

Room #2: is to far away from my modem and router to have a direct connection but is the preferable room to use for its location. I need ideas on ways to get a good wireless connection in this room for no more than roughly $60 (I have no idea of what would be a good setup for this connection....im a newbie:help:)

Any help would be greatly appreciated,
Thanks
Old August 20, 2009, 07:29 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

A wireless bridge. You can actually get a Linksys WRT54GL Wireless Router right now, that can double as a Wireless bridge, from NCIX right now for $50 + tax/shipping. I'm not sure if the stock firmware has the option for using it as a bridge or not but I'm using the Tomato firmware. If I were you, I'd buy 2 of those routers and install Tomato and both, set one up as a bridge and you will have a rock solid connection.
Old August 20, 2009, 10:21 PM
Top Prospect

If I purchase one of the router u suggested instead of two would I be able to do the bridge between that and the current router my parents have?
Old August 21, 2009, 06:50 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Yes I beleive you could, just set thet linksys to bridge mode and it should receive the signal and transmit it as well. Not sure how reliable your current router is though.
Old August 21, 2009, 08:48 PM
F@H

My System Specs

$60 to setup a solid wireless connection isn't feasible IMO, unless you have direct line of sight without obstructions.

A typical 54Mbps 802.11g connection is pretty slow if you're doing any sort of network file transfers and even slower once you throw on encryption. Of course, it gets even slower as the signal strength weakens too. It would suffice for basic internet access but nothing more without running into some speed issues.

I'd want to go with 802.11n, thus needing a new main router. Then a matching 802.11n wireless adapter to go in the PC in room 2. That would probably run you about $200 to do, but I think you'd get far better speeds and theoretically better signal strength too.

What would be helpful is if you could draw up a quick floorplan of your space. Namely the walls and distance between the main router and room 2. These things will have a huge impact on how to go about getting a solid wireless signal.

Also if your cordless phones are only 2.4GHz, probably should upgrade to 5.8GHz or DECT6.0 to lessen any interference.

Alternatively, you could get this: Newegg.ca - BUFFALO WHR-HP-G54 IEEE 802.3/3u, IEEE 802.11b/g Wireless-G High Power Router and Access Point - Wireless Routers to use as your main router. Install DD-WRT/Tomato firmware on it instead. Then you should get decent 802.11g signal since it has a built-in amplifier, something no other router has. That's already at your budget limit though and you'd still need a wireless card of sorts for whatever is in room 2.

Last edited by JD; August 22, 2009 at 10:07 AM.
Old August 23, 2009, 06:27 PM
Top Prospect

I think I might now be leaning toward a direct connection in room #1 but what kind of 100ft(roughly) cable should I get? what would be good for my needs (gaming, surfing the internet)?

thanks for all the help ladies and gentz
Old August 23, 2009, 06:33 PM
"Quote This..."
F@H

Direct connection will be less latency and lag if you are playing any online shooters.
Old August 23, 2009, 08:41 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumfloss View Post
I think I might now be leaning toward a direct connection in room #1 but what kind of 100ft(roughly) cable should I get? what would be good for my needs (gaming, surfing the internet)?

thanks for all the help ladies and gentz
Any Cat5e cable would suffice. 100ft is well within the limits of Ethernet. You can do up to 100m which is nearly 330ft. Though don't use a 100ft cable unless you really have to, same with your link from the floor below to above. The more cable you have, the more signal lost and chance of interference getting into the cable.

Wireless gaming is just a bad idea all together. You'd really regret spending the money on a wireless link when you could of just bought a $20 cable.
Old August 23, 2009, 11:46 PM
Top Prospect

thank you very much for all your great help

Im gunna go with the direct connection for sure now