Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > Networking

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 17, 2009, 09:05 AM
Top Prospect
F@H

Default Debricking a WRT54G...

Hi,

I got a bricked Linksys WRT54G v5 "router" laying around since a couple of months. I would like to revive it, and after doing a few tests, it seems like the bootloader is corrupted, so the solution would be to flash a "new one" with a JTAG connection.

The problem is, there's no JTAG header on my router, and to solder one in place, I would need to remove the old solder and then solder a new header. The real problem is, I have zero solder experience, nor skill, and no soldering equipment.

So... is there a solderless and reliable way to use JTAG in my case ? Is the solder enough electrically conductive to use pogo pin on it or should I really look for someone capable of soldering a header on it ?

Note that I'm looking for a cheap solution since the router isn't worth much, and I don't absolutely need it.

Thanks