Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   Networking (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/networking/)
-   -   Telus: A review (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/networking/21776-telus-review.html)

Cptn Vortex August 10, 2009 05:22 PM

Telus: A review

Well, I cancelled my Shaw at the end of July. Prices were getting a little too high... $58 per month high..... Signed up for Telus Ultra DSL online on the 29th. They gave me an install date of the 8th, which wouldnt work for me, as I would be away. So I called, and the fine rep on the other end said he could get a technician to me friday, the 31st, which made me quite surprised and happy. Then Friday came along, and no one called. No one knocked. So I called them up the next day, and apparently no one got the work order....so I was a little pissed needless to say. So anyway, I called them up again last tuesday, the 4th, and the guy was pretty helpful. The earliest install date he could get me was today, the 10th. I made it abundantly clear that I work 8:30-5 every day, and will only be home after 6. He understood, and said he had me scheduled for 6-8pm on Friday the 10th, great! He also said, for my troubles, that I would be given 3 months of free service, even better!

Anyway, cut to today, the 10th, 3pm. I get a call from a telus service technician, great. He asks if I am home, and I tell him no, as I work till 5 and wont be home till 6. He acts surprised, as he only works until 4pm....well that is strange....I was told no problems by the other rep that assured me it would be Monday the 10th after 6pm. Anyway, he calls headquarters, then calls me back and tells me I need to call telus to re-schedule....fantastic. 3rd time's the charm? Anyway, I call up, and get told that service installs are not available after 4pm.... hmm that would have been good to know before I scheduled for 6pm.... fantastic. So then she goes to say sorry, and can offer me a months free internet... so I ask what about the other 3 months I was told I was getting free? She responds "sorry, that doesnt exist". Anyway, RAGE time. Ask for manager, and I dont think I need to go into detail.

This is still un-resolved, I still have no internet, and I am ready to rip off some heads.

Anyone high up in Telus that can get some people fired for incompetence? This company seems to be run by monkeys. Actually no, monkeys would probably do a better job. Needless to say, I am going to use telus for however many free months I can, then switch back to shaw as a new customer. Shaw was relatively painless over the last few years, just didnt like their price....

/Rant

Jackquelegs August 10, 2009 05:24 PM

You always have to argue with Telus..always

Sushi Warrior August 10, 2009 05:55 PM

You have seen the commercials right? :haha:

Cptn Vortex August 10, 2009 05:58 PM

Hahaha, nice one Sushi!

DaleF August 10, 2009 05:59 PM

That's normal for Telus, don't worry, you'll have your sub-par internet installed soon enough (soon as defined as within two months from order).
Remember, Shaw says that they can offer internet for $10 to anyone in a large multi-unit dwelling. Not sure if that actually works in practice, or that was just PR so they didn't get sued by Novus.

Phobia August 10, 2009 05:59 PM

We have telus and shaw in our house.. telus throttles the internet like crazy, and have BRUTAL support, where as shaw is amazing!

Bad choice there paul!

Cptn Vortex August 10, 2009 06:02 PM

Yes, bad choice. Taking one for the team so to speak. How does this company exist being so terrible? How can we educate people to not order Telus? How can I mess with them psychologically? I mean, if they are wasting their Customers time, how can I waste theirs?

FiXT August 10, 2009 06:36 PM

I would say go back to Shaw ASAP! I've never to be impressed with Telus, though I do find that torrents are not throttled as they are on Shaw.

Are you a student at all - taking any classes anywhere and have a Student ID, or heck still have your gr.12 student ID? Have any friends with a Student ID so that you can "borrow" their number?

Shaw offers High Speed @ $22.XX or Xtreme-I @ $32.XX

From what I have read/seen/heard/done if you are a new cust, the installer checks your ID, if you already have an existing shaw line, they generally just take the number and the school over the phone at least in BC where they only have offices in Vic and Burnaby (I believe)

I was never asked to "prove" my schooling, but the rep I snagged was an incredibly helpful fellow and was even the one who asked if a knew a student to "borrow" borrow their ID from :haha:

Alberta customesr it seems, appear to be pretty anal about it - won't even give the summer student promo to non summer students.. (enrolled in fall/winter but not summer, you have to pay full price during the summer... Boy would I raise a stink!)

Perineum August 10, 2009 06:43 PM

You *will* get what you want with Telus. You just need to talk to the right ones. Just keep calling back and you'll get someone there that will fix the problem.

enaberif August 10, 2009 07:01 PM

I've had 0 issues with throttling either using torrents OR normal downloads.