Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > Networking

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 10, 2009, 07:01 PM
Hall Of Fame

I've actually had numerous problems with Telus.. I transferred my account to their business side, when my parents opened a business, actually to speak, I wasted hours trying to troubleshoot, and then calling their tech support to troubleshoot with them, so they schedule a tech for me, guess what.. first of all it was going to cost me, and second of all I had to wait a month to get a time for the tech.. I had a tech come check out the business before, and apparently his equipment tested that it would work, unfortunately (my mistake) I had no PCs their at that time, no laptop, neither did the tech come with one..

So I got pissed, and called Shaw, we scheduled, he was on time.. I got an installation done within a day, and I had no hickups in 3 years of service.. and since I was an existing customer, and the business was sort of small business, I had a residential internet access...

Paul really, call Shaw back.. Sign as a new customer (new phone number) and usually get some kind of 3 months deal..

Oh and FixT, I didn't know they had student pricing, I'm doing a part time certificate, and finished one course, going for the next one next month.. I don't have a student-id, but enough amount of proof to show i'm a student, ima call them really..
Samsung 931BW 19" LCD, Logitech MX Revolution
Old August 10, 2009, 07:10 PM
Allstar

I wanted to compare shaw and telus ( I already had shaw) so I gave telus a call and they sent out a dsl modem and I hooked it up and spent close to 2 hours trying to get an ip... I called their customer service and they assured me the new account was active. So I re-wire my phone line to my office and disconnect all the others from the telus box, still no go.
I called customer service again and finally got someone who had half a brain ( after 1/2 an hour of punching keys) who laughed and told me they don't have Telus high speed in my neighbourhood....
What a joke.
I just cancelled my telus phone a couple of days ago as well.
Old August 10, 2009, 07:15 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Sorry to hear about your troubles. My experience with Shaw has always been pretty good. I even had a guy out to my place at 9pm when I moved in to set up my cable and internet. And their 24/7 support has never really failed me either. And when my family or friends have cable or net problems that I can't help with, I tell them to call Shaw because that's what they are there for. And sure enough their issues get dealt with.

If it makes you feel better, you may be able to take advantage of some kind of "new customer" discount/deal with Shaw when you go back. :)

Desktop:
See the drop down!

Laptop: Dell XPS M1530 \\ T7500 2.2GHz \\ 3GB 667 \\ 6 Cell \\ 8600M GT \\ 200GB 7.2K \\ WSXGA+ \\ Bluetooth/Wireless \\ MS Blue Track Mini \\ Vista Ult. (RED)

HEATWARE
Old August 10, 2009, 07:17 PM
F@H

My System Specs

I don't understand why they would need to send anyone to you. Its DSL, typically all you need is the modem and for them to turn you on either at their main switch station or at the DSLAM and that's it. At least that's how it has always been with me and bell. I've lived in 3 different places with bell, all i had to do was get the modem from them, plug it in on the date they said it was active and that was it.
Old August 10, 2009, 07:40 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Having seen some of Telus' internal working, they do tend to treat customers with contempt for some reason.
Also, on a related note, I worked for a Rogers dealer last summer, and we were selling home phone. As Telus owns all the lines here, they have to do the install and then you get onto Rogers fiber network for routing calls around Canada. Anyways, one of our customers patiently waited while Telus botched 11 (yes, eleven!) separate installs over two months. I think we told them to give Shaw a call instead and get Shaw to do phone. ):
Old August 10, 2009, 11:15 PM
Top Prospect
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by enaberif View Post
I've had 0 issues with throttling either using torrents OR normal downloads.
+1 for Shaw's throttleless service.

Old August 11, 2009, 12:46 AM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Vortex! Dude!

shoulda asked here first man . If telus high speed cost HALF of what shaw charges it STILL isnt worth it. Telus' business support is no better. The only account that telus actually gives a damn about is the Managed Business Internet service. 99.9% proven uptime with service that is spot on...
Old August 11, 2009, 07:02 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

Give Teksavvy a call.

Sure, you're stuck with Telus to get the initial setup done, but you get the TS tech support people who actually know what they're talking about rather than reading from a script.

I've been with them a couple of years now, after getting frustrated with Telus and then Shaw and they've been excellent.
Old August 11, 2009, 08:18 AM
Top Prospect
F@H

Spoke to an internet-less Paul last night, he's pulled the plug on Telus and has called Shaw, after being told the next install date wouldn't be for another MONTH!....after reading this thread I might just jump across from Telus since Shaw is already in the house anyway.

My telus is stuck on 300/50 (KB/s) max after coming from Australia I expected better (had minimum of 20/10Mbps there) hopefully Shaw will get higher speeds.
Old August 11, 2009, 08:43 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Yup, finally got things sorted, and they called to let me know their soonest install date for evening service would be Sept 4th, yup. I told them to Frak off and cancel me immediately. What a joke! Back to shaw I go. Just gotta get a phone # they dont already have on file...

Coolermaster ATCS 840 w Window panel
MSI Z77A-GD65
Intel i7 3770K @ 4.6GHZ 1.28v
Galaxy GTX 680 @ 1241MHZ
8GB Mushkin Blackline 1600MHZ 9-9-9-24 1.5v
Asus Xonar Essence STX
OCZ Z-Series GOLD 850W
2 x 128GB Corsair Force GT SATA3 SSD RAID0 :)
Acheiva Shimian Q270 Lite 2560x1440

Benq W500 Pojector.

Watercooling:
EK Supreme HF, EK FC GTX 680 Block, MCR320+Gelid Silent 12 Push/Pull, DD Pump, EK Multioption 100ml Res, EK Coolstream XT 220 RAD Gelid Wings Push/Pull.

Tags
fail , internet , isp , service , telus