Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > Networking

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old July 22, 2009, 10:43 PM
Top Prospect
F@H

My System Specs

Default Wireless access point setup

Hey guys. I've been looking around trying to school myself on some wireless network info but still not really sure how to do what I want. Currently I have the modem set up in the basement and this is where the main router is (D-Link DIR-825) which broadcasts two SSIDs "dlink-a" for close range (higher frequency) and "dlink" for long range (lower frequency). The problem is that the lower frequency one still doesn't reach all areas of the house and is pretty weak in others so I want to add a wireless access point.

I have a Linksys WRT54GL sitting around I plan to use to do this.

First, Can I set up the access point wirelessly near the far reach of the current wireless signal to boost it? Or does it need to have a wired connection to the first router?

Second, I'm not sure how to set it up since the main router is dual band N and the second is just a regular G router, will it work? (it's mostly the dual band thing that concerns me)

Networks are probably my area of least expertise so any help you guys can give me would be great. If there are relevant guides out there I would appreciate a point in the right direction.

TIA
Old July 22, 2009, 11:11 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

ideally i would shoot a network cable up to the main floor and discretely mount the access point (the wireless N) centrally.

Setting up the second AP in a weak zone in ad-hoc mode (wirelessly) does work but will lag the network connection to anyone who is associated to it. This is still an option.

To answer you second question, if the wireless N router is not locked into wireless N it will work. Just make sure the dlink is set for wireless N AND G clients and you should be fine.
Old July 22, 2009, 11:26 PM
Top Prospect
F@H

My System Specs

Yeah the dlink is set for N and G so that won't be a problem. I guess my best bet is to run a cable from the dlink to the linksys then?

Also which band should I set the linksys SSID to? the lower (farther reaching) one makes the most sense I guess?
Old July 22, 2009, 11:32 PM
Allstar

I use one of those for just this purpose. I installed DD-WRT V24 on it and it was relatively easy to set up. If you want to go the wireless-wireless route just go to where the WTRG54 can still get a strong signal from the other router and set it up there, you'll likely be able to get the 54mps anywhere in the house then.
Here's some links so you can read up on how to set it up.
Installation - DD-WRT Wiki
I installed the voip version because I use my WTRG to run my vonage phone when I'm in our RV and have a wireless signal.

DD-WRT Tutorial 5: Wireless Repeater
Old July 23, 2009, 12:18 AM
Top Prospect
F@H

My System Specs

So you set yours up as a wireless repeater? That seems like a pretty good option. I lose the ability to share between computers on the two networks but that isn't really a concern as much as getting wireless in the other areas of the house is. I've installed tomato firmware on my WRT54GL at my apartment so flashing the firmware won't be an issue and the tutorial you posted is very thorough. I'll try setting it up tomorrow that way and if it doesn't work I'll just run a cable and use it as a regular access point.
Old July 23, 2009, 07:30 AM
Allstar

Yes , as a repeater. I don't think you'll loose the ability to share, your Dlink will do the DHCP and assign all the IPs through both routers. The Linksys will broadcast a separate SSID but all the computers can still be in the same worgroup. (ok I haven't actually tried a share over the repeater so I'm assuming here)
Old July 23, 2009, 09:08 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

grinder
Quote:
ideally i would shoot a network cable up to the main floor and discretely mount the access point (the wireless N) centrally.
Evylldemon
Quote:
Yeah the dlink is set for N and G so that won't be a problem. I guess my best bet is to run a cable from the dlink to the linksys then?
I think what grinder is saying is to move your D-Link DIR-825 from the basement to the main floor of the house and run a cable from your modem up to it making it more centrally located which would extent it's range in to the upper floors of the house. Doing this might allow it to cover the whole house in which case you won't have go about setting up a repeater.
Old July 23, 2009, 10:16 AM
Top Prospect
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by TopDogZero View Post
grinder
Evylldemon
I think what grinder is saying is to move your D-Link DIR-825 from the basement to the main floor of the house and run a cable from your modem up to it making it more centrally located which would extent it's range in to the upper floors of the house. Doing this might allow it to cover the whole house in which case you won't have go about setting up a repeater.
When i say basement i just mean the lowest area of the house. it's more than 8000sqft and mostly one level except two levels on one side (where the bedrooms and a theatre room/basement is). The modem/router is on that side of the house so that the bedrooms and office get wifi. I plan to put the AP/repeater closer to the middle of the house so more if not all of it will have wireless. Moving the router closer to the middle of the house would involve running a lot of cable and might sacrifice the wireless signal in the bedrooms.
Old July 23, 2009, 10:25 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

8000sqft! big house +1 for the repeater idea.
Old July 23, 2009, 10:28 AM
Top Prospect
F@H

My System Specs

haha yeah it's my parents' place. I'm just home for the rest of summer and thought I would put a new computer together + fix the wireless. Gonna try the repeater idea with DD-WRT when I get home and hopefully I won't have to run any cable :)