Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   Networking (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/networking/)
-   -   New Router :) (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/networking/20873-new-router.html)

WolfBane July 21, 2009 05:13 PM

New Router :)

Ok i had a Dlink 624 i wireless router .
It kept kicking me offline !!! So i went out and bought a Linksys N UltraRange Plus!!
Is this a good router etc etc ? Any comments are appreciated:)

Also any upgrades that this will take to make my speed even faster on downloads and videos etc etc ?

Arinoth July 21, 2009 05:52 PM

Your download speeds are typically, well actually limited to what your internet connection speed your getting from your ISP along side with the traffic and connection speed of the server/location you are trying to download from

DaleF July 21, 2009 06:06 PM

I've found the opposite. With cheap routers, running BT generally is an exercise in slowness. And because they routers can't handle it, they slow down everything else using the internet connection.

WolfBane July 21, 2009 06:42 PM

hmmm So is this an ok router then or did i just lose my shirt ? lol

DaleF July 21, 2009 07:02 PM

Personally, I can't stand Linksys' stuff. I've had six routers from them die on me, but two of those were under unusual circumstances and might be a very specific bug in them.

subliminal July 21, 2009 07:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WolfBane (Post 227554)
Ok i had a Dlink 624 i wireless router .
It kept kicking me offline !!!

Interesting. I have the Dlink 624 as well and it's starting to do the same thing. I have to keep reseting it every ~5 hours. :censored:

Arinoth July 21, 2009 07:43 PM

Have either of you checked to see if there is any firmware updates to fix that Dlink 624 problems you both encountered?

geokilla July 21, 2009 08:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by subliminal (Post 227639)
Interesting. I have the Dlink 624 as well and it's starting to do the same thing. I have to keep reseting it every ~5 hours. :censored:

Had the same router years ago. Worst. Router. Ever. Period.

Imo, anything that can run DD-WRT is a good router. Take a look at the Buffalo WHR-HP-G54 and ASUS WL-520GU. Both are good, with the Buffalo being better due to its built in amplifier. The ASUS is very cheap and excellent as well. Don't get a Linksys WRT54G/WRT54GS if you're planning to load aftermarket firmware. If you want to stick with Linksys, get the WRT54GL.

norfolk July 22, 2009 06:32 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I had to replace my Linksys BEFSR41 which was working well I just needed to go wireless for my sons PS3 and his Wii.I ended up getting a ASUS 240 MIMO WL-566gM($59)
I must say the wireless was a breeze to set up and the router itself works really well. I am getting really low pings in L4D(50) as well as my sons WOW(56ms). Oh and here"s my latest speed test.

sswilson July 22, 2009 06:37 AM

Many of the retail (vice commercial) routers seem to have problems once you start throwing in a lot of connections (ie open torrents). The only thing I've ever heard (other than loading up a third party OS onto it) that might help would be a few folks who've suggested that slapping a fan onto them to keep them cool does the trick.

I've never tried it myself (haven't needed to), but it doesn't cost much to give it a try.... :)