Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > Networking

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old July 15, 2009, 07:03 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Default BT Kills Windows Live Messenger

Every time I have BT running on my side computer, I get disconnected from Windows Live Messenger on my own computer. Also even if I don't have BT running, every once in a while I will randomly get kicked out of WLM or not be able to send and receive instant messages, even though my Internet would still be working perfectly fine.

I'm using the latest version of DD-WRT, build 12476M a WRT54GSv7. I have BT running on a side computer with its ports forwarded and UPnP enabled. I also have QoS enabled and have the BT's computer's priority set to bulk in QoS. My own computer has the QoS priority set to Express.

According to the UPNP page, I do not have any WLM ports forwarded. I do have some BT ports forwarded in the UPnP page, despite already having Port Forward setup.

I opened WLM as well and went to the connections tab on the left. It always gives me the following connection status:
Code:
You are directly connected to .NET Messenger service.

You are connected to the Internet through a wired network connection.

You are connected to the Internet through a UPnP port restricted NAT. (Administrator)
It doesn't matter which firmware I use or whether I'm downloading or not. WLM will always say that I have a UPnP port restricted NAT.

When I directly connect my computer to the modem, thus bypassing the router, my ports aren't blocked and everything's fine. WLM says:

Code:
You are directly connected to .NET Messenger service.

You are connected to the Internet through a wired network connection.

You are connected to the Internet using a direct connection. (Administrator)
Old July 15, 2009, 08:04 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

windows live is a FING piece of shit and it gets worst with every newer version. And whats with the ads, geeezzzzzz

use something else like trillian

feel better now
Old July 15, 2009, 08:10 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Yeah, unless i have to use the audio chat or a webcam, i steer completely clear from Windows Live Messenger or any form of msn messenger and keep happy with my more reliable, no adds Trillian Astra
Old July 15, 2009, 09:53 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Well I've been fine with Windows Live Messenger, and it seems that it's not Windows Live Messenger that's giving me this network problem. It's my router that's giving me the problem. Connecting the computer directly to the modem gives me the
Code:
You are connected to the Internet using a direct connection. (Administrator)
which I can't get even if I DMZ or have UPnP enabled when connecting my computer to the router. If it was indeed Windows Live Messenger being stupid, then I would've had problems receiving messages and it wouldn't say that I'm drectly connected to the Internet instead of connecting through a UPnP restricted NAT, whatever that means.
Old July 15, 2009, 10:01 PM
Hall Of Fame

Why are you even using uPNP? Its garbage.
Old July 16, 2009, 06:58 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by enaberif View Post
Why are you even using uPNP? Its garbage.
UPnP lets the port forward automatically doesn't it? How else can I get a direct connection to the Internet without having my ports blocked by the router...
Old July 16, 2009, 08:19 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

uPNP is a huge security hole for one.

Disable uPnP and manually set your ports in the router. I hope you set up a static IP for your computer to use Torrents correctly?
Old July 16, 2009, 02:04 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by bojangles View Post
uPNP is a huge security hole for one.

Disable uPnP and manually set your ports in the router. I hope you set up a static IP for your computer to use Torrents correctly?
Hmm what's wrong with UPnP? I'll disable it and see what happens.

I have static IP setup for all my computers and the correct ports forwarded for BT. As of right now, my Internet usage is very low as I'm just listening to the radio. I've already missed a good chunk of instant messages on WLM with my friends.

Tried connecting my computer directly to the modem this morning for a short while, and I got ALL my instant messages. I'll try again right now.
Old July 16, 2009, 04:07 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Try disabling QoS and set your torrent application to low priority.
Old July 16, 2009, 04:11 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

For those pissed off with MSN for the ads, take a look into either A-Patch, or the Mess.be patch. You can remove all the ads, and customize tons of other stuff.