Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > Networking

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old July 14, 2009, 08:18 PM
Rookie

Default Host Id question?

Does the host id change when you switch hard drives? Is there a way to change the host id of a machine? I have software installed on one of my old machines that is node locked to the host id of it and want to install it on my new machine. Just wondering if there is anyway to do this?
Old July 14, 2009, 10:24 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

i don't think HostID's are standard

for example.. in IRC a host-id is identified by the mac address of the PC coupled with the DNS name of the internet service provider. In some instances a Host ID is simply the MAC address of a network interface card. Some providers use the volume serial number of a C: hard drive. or the GUID of a windows installation. Some of the proprietary programs i service use the server's static IP address to serve as the Host ID.

This is a question for the tech-support arm of the program you are using.