Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > Networking

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old July 7, 2009, 08:46 PM
Rookie

Default Network Connection Help

Whats up fellow canucks

I just finished setting up, what I thought was, a simple network setup.

Basically I have 2 computers. One main computer and one media computer. The main computer is connected to a router thorough one Ethernet port, and then connected to the media computer through another Ethernet port.

Thanks to some excellent advice I received here, I was able to ensure internet traffic was separate from network traffic, by simply disabling some options under properties for the internet connection.

Anyway everything was working fine but now if both network connections are enabled, the internet does not work through any browser. Steam, Steam Chat, MSN and other such programs all work fine, but I cannot get any browser to load internet pages. The second I disable the 2nd network connection (the one connecting the 2 computers) the internet starts loading fine again. If I then re-enable the 2nd connection, the internet browsers again fail to load webpages.

I've played with every setting I can think of, and searched google to the best of my ability, with no results or explanations.

So any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

-Fellows
Old July 7, 2009, 08:54 PM
"Quote This..."
F@H

Why don't you just connect both computers to the router?
Old July 7, 2009, 09:15 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

sorry fellows, i am confused

is your setup like this?

Quote:
[internet] <---> [router] <---> [main rig] <--> [media rig]
or did i mis-read your description? like.. do you have dual NIC on your main PC and am using ICS to do sharing to your media rig?
Old July 7, 2009, 09:27 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I second Squeetard's exclamation. Seems like you're doing things the hard way.
Old July 7, 2009, 09:32 PM
Rookie

Wow, Thanks for the speedy replies.

I could connect both Squeetard, but to minimize traffic, congestion on the internet side, I found it much easier to just connect the media computer to the main one.

For clarification grinder....

[internet] <---> [router] <---> [main rig, PS3, few wireless PC's]

and then through another network cable

[main rig] <---> [media computer]

EDIT: I only need to share the media PC with my main computer. Correct me if I'm wrong but connecting both to the router would cause more unnecessary traffic, as I'd be sharing HD content etc. With both PC's connected to the router I'd be using the one adapter on my main computer to both copy to and from the media PC as well as handle internet traffic. Originally when I set these two PC's up I had them both connected to the router, but noticed a drop in upload and download speeds while I was copying data from one computer to the other.

Hope that helps. And thanks guys

Last edited by fellows; July 7, 2009 at 09:39 PM.
Old July 7, 2009, 09:42 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by fellows View Post
EDIT: I only need to share the media PC with my main computer. Correct me if I'm wrong but connecting both to the router would cause more unnecessary traffic, as I'd be sharing HD content etc. With both PC's connected to the router I'd be using the one adapter on my main computer to both copy to and from the media PC as well as handle internet traffic. Originally when I set these two PC's up I had them both connected to the router, but noticed a drop in upload and download speeds while I was copying data from one computer to the other.
You really shouldn't unless you have some really low-end router...

As for what you want to do, leave all the settings on both adapters in your main PC at default, then just bridge them (select both, right click, bridge). Should work fine.
Old July 7, 2009, 09:54 PM
"Quote This..."
F@H

Just run both through the router. You bridge connections and you are passing al traffic through both ethernet cards.
Old July 7, 2009, 11:38 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

okay... i can appreciate that not all routers are alike and some routers make better switches than others (for wired PC to PC transfers). I dont know how frugal you want to be with your setup.. but this is perhaps IDEAL.

[router] <--> [gigabit switch]
|--> [main rig]
|--> [media rig]
|--> [PS3]
└--> [few PC's]

I too have seen noticeable diferences between data transfers from router to router (doing PC to PC copies).. but nothing tops a quality network switch for LAN file transfers. Add a simple gigabit switch and hook up as above. I think that -from reading your posts- you value the speed you get between your main rig and your media rig. This is the simplest possible solution that will maximize PC to PC bandwidth, and NOT effect internet traffic to the other users because PC to PC traffic will not even flow up to the router at all (the switch will manage it for you).

Trust me.. unless you have a worm, trojan or Active Directory on your network, you have no unnecessary traffic on your local area network.