Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > Networking

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old July 7, 2009, 07:29 PM
Top Prospect

Default Looking for a Wireless Adaptor for desktop and questions

I decided to get a wireless adaptor for my desktop.
I've been using the cable as far as I can remember.
It will be my first time getting a wireless adaptor.
I don't know anything about it, so I decided to pop a question here. Hope to get some useful tips. My router is Linksys WRT54G. I'm looking for something that is reliable meaning that it's gotta have some good range and no losing of connection which can be very annoying.
Also, is it better to get a USB adaptor than a PCI card for wireless network adapter?
Please help me.
Thank you for your time.
Looking forward to hearing from as many answers as possible.

Core i7 920 on EVGA X58 @ 3.95GHZ
Noctua NH U12P 1366
OCZ DDR3 Triple Channel Gold Version 6GB (8-8-8-24)
EVGA GTX 260SC
Windows Vista Ultimate X64
750GB Hardisk
Antec P182 Case: Quiet but not very good for cooling

Laptop: Lenovo Thinkpad SL500
Old July 7, 2009, 09:03 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

let's see if i can help appplejack

1) try to match brandnames for router/adapter. This way you can take advantage of proprietary "speed boost" or "range boost" styles of technology.

2) i would get an adapter with a diversity antenna (2 or more instead of a single). WiFi generates lots of reflections and "noise" as it travels through and around obstacles, the dual or triple antennas help to cancel out a lot of that, making the signal-to-noise ratio that much better. I would recommend something like this... LINKSYS Wireless-G Business PCI Adapter with RangeBooster at Memory Express Computers Check your budget for a wireless N card instead tho for future-proofing your investment.

3) USB vs PCI is almost a non issue for most users. USB does incur some added CPU overhead VS PCI but on desktops as old as 5 years (and newer) this is almost a moot point. You can be almost guaranteed that a usb style wifi dongle will have a single antenna (no diversity) and/or have no connections for an exterior or after-market antenna. I would go PCI if it were my money.

Setting up the wifi connections is as easy as following the setup "wizard" on the linksys router. I think you will do fine.

Here are some things that can disrupt your WiFi network once it is up and running.
- cordless phones that are not DECT 2.0 will interfere with your wireless signal
- microwave ovens will interfere with your wireless signal

Make sure the above items are not between your router and your computer.

hope this helps
Old July 7, 2009, 09:44 PM
F@H

My System Specs

May I ask why you want to move your desktop to wireless when you already have it wired?

Wired is far faster and more reliable than wireless will ever be, and it's typically the choice for desktops since they don't move frequently.