Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > Networking

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old June 18, 2009, 09:44 PM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

Default OPENDNS * FAST *

so I gave opendns a try tonight.. OMG what a difference on sites like facebook or ebay that do allot of lookups. page loads no longer lag...
my ISP's DNS server must be way overloaded....

has anyone else tried switching to it?

www.opendns.com

had a few friends try it both in Canada and the US so far no one hasn't seen a speed increase.

anyone else using it?
Old June 18, 2009, 10:32 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I've tried it before when there was a DNS virus or something. I don't remember what it was, but it was something concerning the DNS of ISPs.

Anyways, OpenDNS is a great thing, but I just don't trust them. I prefer to live with the lag and know that my DNS info is going to only the ISP and not a DNS server. Plus, the DNS issue that I was talking bout is fixed now by most, if not all ISPs.

Uhh I know that doesn't make sense, but I hope you guys understand what I'm trying to say...I don't know how to put it...Sorry.
Old June 19, 2009, 09:26 AM
F@H

My System Specs

I've used OpenDNS for quite some time, though didn't notice any speed difference.

I just like that I can block certain things (namely malware and those crap domain pages). Keeps my family from clicking on stupid things.

Also really useful if you have small children since you could block adult websites (maybe not so good for you though ).
Old June 19, 2009, 10:03 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

Started using it couple years ago when my ISP had DNS issues for 2 days in a row, it does what it says, whenever I setup computer for friends and family I always punch in 208.67.222.222, 208.67.220.220 in router.
Old June 19, 2009, 02:53 PM
Rookie

I've been using it since the big DNS vulnerability was discovered because OpenDNS was one of the two systems unaffected. That was quite awhile ago. I spread the OpenDNS IP's everywhere I go. I noticed it was faster the moment I started using it, and it's never not fast.
Old June 19, 2009, 08:09 PM
F@H

My System Specs

I just set up my work router with this. I like the filtering options. I got a couple of co-workers who just can't stay away from *yarr matey* sites at work, and whose computers I have to work on fairly frequently. This will fix 'em.