Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > Networking

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old May 14, 2009, 02:24 PM
Hall Of Fame

Default Windows 7 Remote Desktop

Not sure if this belongs here but it might.

I want to be able to use the Windows 7 built in Remote Desktop, and it works fine it seems while in my home network but that is relatively useless to be honest. Now when I tried connecting from the local library, expecting it to work, it wouldn't connect. I'm assuming there is a step I'm missing or a setting I have wrong. If someone could walk me through making this work I would be very grateful.
Old May 14, 2009, 03:29 PM
"Quote This..."
F@H

If you are behind a router you need to forward port 3389 to the computer you want to connect to. And from the library or external you connect to the wan address of your router.
Old May 14, 2009, 08:23 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Probably ideal to setup a dynamic DNS service so you don't have to remember your WAN IP address constantly.

I use No-IP though I've also used DynDNS both work the same, just different domain name choices.

On your router you should first give the computer that's running Remote Desktop a static IP/DHCP Reservation. Then forward the port accordingly to that IP.

Though in the end, I think you'll be disappointed with Remote Desktop. Not really made for use over the Internet. I'd suggest VNC instead (many various "distributions" out there). Or the easiest, use LogMeIn