Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > Networking

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old May 9, 2009, 11:38 AM
Allstar

Default Teksavvy may start adding a surcharge for MLPP

This will only effect certain customers.

Quote:
MLPPP changes that are not yet in effect. I will provide details in the next day or so. Please do not ask for these changes yet until we provide direction here.

We will require that you purchase a static IP to have access to use MLPPP regardless if you have one line or multiple lines.

another way to say it is that for $4.00/mth you can have any of the following combinations:
Fixed IP + Newsgroups
Dynamic IP + MLPPP
Fixed IP + Newsgroups + MLPPP

If you already have a static IP you may request to have your login replaced for a special one where MLPPP will work. No additional charge and no service fee.

If you have a static IP now or are planning on having one, you are not required to have MLPPP. You don't need to do anything special.

Only those users who wish to use MLPPP will need to make changes.

Windows multilink will work again in the new setup.

Cisco routers with multilink will also work properly again.

If you are using multilink because you have degraded line and do not wish to have a static ip, we are willing to forgo the fee given that the line conditions are poor. The line conditions must be really bad.

Nobody is forced to use MLPPP, nobody is being forced into a price increase. If you do not wish to use MLPPP simply disable MLPPP and you will not need any further changes.

I'm not sure what I'm missing here.. but I'll keep updating as we go.

If you switch to a static IP and wish to remove it later, there is no service fee. If this becomes a rampant problem we may revisit this. Please be reasonable.

If you prefer to keep a dynamic IP instead of a static IP it will be a $4/mth charge, the same that a static would otherwise cost.
TSI Marc
MLPPP changes - dslreports.com

and here:

Question about new pricing. - dslreports.com

CHEERS
Old May 9, 2009, 09:36 PM
Hall Of Fame

That's why I'm choosing Velcom..
Old May 10, 2009, 06:04 AM
Allstar
F@H

Doesn’t bother me, for my short 2 days of teksavvy its been heaven.

I kind of looked into the mlppp, but the installation looked too fack’d.
So I won’t bother unless it becomes a problem.
But at least it’ll be nice to know that I can just call them and say, “Sign me up”
and I’ll be taken care of.

Mark, does this mean it’ll be supported on the modem teksavvy gives you?
Old May 10, 2009, 07:15 AM
Allstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by DK2 View Post

Mark, does this mean it’ll be supported on the modem teksavvy gives you?
Once you've configured it properly with a proper router ( Tomato Firmware preferably) then all you have to do is pay the extra $4.00 to cover the cost of the material. This will in no way effect you. It's pretty much only for those that do alot of torrent downloads.

It's non-modem dependant so your modem is fine.

CHEERS
Old May 10, 2009, 08:26 AM
Hall Of Fame

They've probably purchased more ERXs and are separating people for better performance or the likes.

Teletraan I: Asus P5K-E/WIFI, E4500, 2 GB RAM, ATI 3450, Sapphire Theatrix, 2.25TB storage, Antec SP2 400w

Galvatron: Asus M2NPV-VM, 3800+ X2, 2GB RAM, NV8500GT, Seasonic 500w

Tracks: Acer AS5920, C2D 2.1ghz 45nm, 3GB DDR2, NV8600m GT, 250gb hdd

Hound: Gigabyte GA-MA74GM-S, AMD 4400+ X2, 1 GB RAM, 2900XT, 500w Seasonic

My Heatware!
| Got RMA? Tell us your experience! | VOIP Help? PM ME!
Old May 10, 2009, 08:38 AM
Hall Of Fame

So 40$ + 4$ static ip + 4$ for mlppp..ain't that cheap
Old May 10, 2009, 10:13 AM
Allstar

Yeah, it's not. I don't think having to spend the extra is important for what you get. It's only an option so I would stick to there standard package.

CHEERS
Old May 12, 2009, 09:59 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

At first tek wasn't charging people because fist it wasn't an officially supported feature and not alot of people were using it. but now with 2000+ users using it they need better hardware to handle the load for mlppp users. Something tells me the $4 extra a month is actually a hit since this type of equipment is usually in the 100k-500k+ price range. Also i challenge you find anywhere else where you can get a static ip / mlppp/ and usenet access for $4 a month. IMHO you just don't go out to mcd's or timmies that one time a month and it will more than cover it. Also keep in mind that if bell didn't deploy it's DPI boxes none of this would be happening (most likely.) In regards to leaving to go with velcom that's your choice but velcom's support is crap.

Old May 12, 2009, 10:21 AM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by lcdguy View Post
At first tek wasn't charging people because fist it wasn't an officially supported feature and not alot of people were using it. but now with 2000+ users using it they need better hardware to handle the load for mlppp users. Something tells me the $4 extra a month is actually a hit since this type of equipment is usually in the 100k-500k+ price range. Also i challenge you find anywhere else where you can get a static ip / mlppp/ and usenet access for $4 a month. IMHO you just don't go out to mcd's or timmies that one time a month and it will more than cover it. Also keep in mind that if bell didn't deploy it's DPI boxes none of this would be happening (most likely.) In regards to leaving to go with velcom that's your choice but velcom's support is crap.
Agreed. MLPPP is not only heavy on ERXs but a PITA to support! We tried it and gave up quickly. The logistics are too much to worry about.

Teletraan I: Asus P5K-E/WIFI, E4500, 2 GB RAM, ATI 3450, Sapphire Theatrix, 2.25TB storage, Antec SP2 400w

Galvatron: Asus M2NPV-VM, 3800+ X2, 2GB RAM, NV8500GT, Seasonic 500w

Tracks: Acer AS5920, C2D 2.1ghz 45nm, 3GB DDR2, NV8600m GT, 250gb hdd

Hound: Gigabyte GA-MA74GM-S, AMD 4400+ X2, 1 GB RAM, 2900XT, 500w Seasonic

My Heatware!
| Got RMA? Tell us your experience! | VOIP Help? PM ME!
Old May 12, 2009, 11:55 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

yup that's for sure. I remember before tek had their interim fix from juniper the load was crashing their erx's abour every 20 minutes. But now it looks like they are going to be going full steam ahead on this. of course if UBB goes through (and it probably will since the cdn gvrnment / crtc are a bunch of lapdogs to their pay masters) it won't matter who our ISP is were all going to get wallet raped.