Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > Networking

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old May 4, 2009, 03:24 PM
Rookie

Default swapping routers

Hi there. I'm upgrading my router from a Trendnet to a D-link DIR-655. I'm on DSL, PPPoE, MTS in Manitoba. I'm just trying to get it working on my main PC right now (wired to router not wireless). D-Link DWA-552 wireless adapter is going into a second PC. When I go through the setup wizard on the disk I end up with "internet connection not found". Everything is hooked up and turned on properly. I can access the router but not internet. I did expect this problem but routers aren't my thing. Never played around with them much. So I thought I'd check here before sitting on the phone with D-Link. Thanks for any help with setup.
Old May 4, 2009, 03:29 PM
Banned
F@H

Turn everything off, modem, router, pcs. Turn on mnodem, wait for it to provision, then turn on router...wait for it to provision, adn then turn on pc. You shouldn't need to run the set-up disk...jsut use the windows wizard and select PPPoE, and enter your UID and PSWD.
Old May 4, 2009, 04:00 PM
Rookie

Thanks cadaveca. I'll try that but I don't "think" it'll work. I tried that once before when trying to connect straight back to the modem bypassing the router when I was having problems with the Trendnet router.
Old May 5, 2009, 07:01 AM
MVP

what is the 'Status' of the router when observed from your browser?
Old May 5, 2009, 08:02 AM
"Quote This..."
F@H

Here in BC with Telus DSL you have to register the new router with them. Give your isp a call.
Old May 5, 2009, 08:18 AM
Banned
F@H

Heh, I'm on Telus as well, but switch my router every couple of weeks. Just set-up and "N" touter, plugged in no issues, but yes, squeetard, you are correct it seems, as there is no real way for the router to forward the PPPoE login...unless configured to do so...