Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > Networking

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old May 3, 2009, 08:18 PM
Rookie

Default Network Setup Questions

I'm starting to work onsite at my parents business, and am looking at making some changes to their network. Its setup horribly right now, and to be able to fit my computer in, I'll need to make some changes. I think I might as well overhaul the network a bit so that I can easily access computers from a distance. This is why I am moving them over to Teksavvy with a static IP. I've drawn a diagram in paint of the new network plans I have, as well as the diagram of the old (current network). Would you mind giving me your thoughts on this setup.

Thanks!
Attached Images

Old May 3, 2009, 08:41 PM
Banned

Why you put a managed switch ?
Old May 3, 2009, 09:35 PM
F@H

My System Specs

An unmanaged switch would be fine (in the center), unless you want to have VLANs?

I'm not totally sure how TekSavvy's static IP's work, but if you had the modem into the switch, you'd have to subnet the IP since TekSavvy only gives you 1 and you have more than 1 device. Simpler option is to have the modem into the router then the switch into the router. This then gives your entire network firewall and NAT, along with not needing to subnet TSI's IP.

And I'd ditch the switches at each end if there's only 2 devices, just run 2 CAT5 cables to each side. Best to keep all the equipment at a central location. And if you're replacing everything, might as well use CAT6 cable since it isn't much more.

Also not sure if you need 100ft/200ft of cable. That seems like an awful lot for a small business. If you're just buying pre-made cables, you should consider making your own so they are to size since having excess cable means more chances of interference. If you do have to do a 200ft run, you might want to consider using STP (shielded) instead.
Old May 3, 2009, 11:00 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I don't really see how it's setup all that horribly from the beginning....?

Link a 8 port switch into that router and you've got everything you seem to be planning to do but with hardly any cost after you get the printer networked. Like it was stated above, I don't see the logic in putting the dsl modem directly into a managed switch.

The network you're thinking of doing looks way overcomplicated for the mere 5 machines you have set up on it....

I don't see the point of an overly expensive managed switch for a network that is *LESS* complicated than I have in my house.

Also, if you don't need wireless turn off the router's radio. It's a needless security "risk".
Old May 4, 2009, 08:20 AM
Hall Of Fame

Some of these points have been covered , but I'll go over em again.

You've made it far too complicated.

Get rid of the unmanaged switches , just run the wires.

A managed switch , while preferable , is not necissary in this application.I would suggest something like a 'semi-managed' (web-managed) switch....they will cost a lot less but still provide the extra functionality you might need.

What kind of router do you intend to use ?
As this is a business , I'd suggest something a little more robust than yer average 'off-the-shelf' home router.....Something like PFsense/smoothwall etc.

As far as cabling goes : I don't think you need cat6 , but as jdrom17 suggested , look into 'STP' cable , especially if the cables are being routed next to AC power/fluorescent lighting etc.....

Old May 4, 2009, 09:24 AM
Rookie

Thanks guys. I ended up ordering a Netgear GS108NA Switch for $60 - 15 mail in rebate so that I can add my workstation to the network. It's too much work to change the whole setup now, especially since we'll be moving to a new location in a year. I'll certainly look into the STP cable when I wire the new building.