Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > Networking

    
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old April 28, 2009, 09:05 AM
Mr. Friendly's Avatar
Top Prospect
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: British Columbia
Posts: 140
Default combined wireless router w/ADSL modem

hey guys, I'm wondering if there are any good wireless router/ADSL modem combo's out there? customer of mine wants to simplify his wires and equipment. if it has printer server on it, that would be great as well as he wants to connect a wireless laser printer to it too. probably two routers with N capability and one with G, so if it can do both simultaneously, great, if not, oh well, he'll deal with that.
Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old April 29, 2009, 12:29 AM
grinder's Avatar
Allstar
F@H
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 823

My System Specs

Default

if it's a customer here is my first piece of advice... ask them what their budget is and work backwards from there.

Netgear makes a good appliance, no built in ADSL modem so you'll have to use that separately. FWG114P - ProSafe? 802.11g Wireless Firewall w/4 Port 10/ 100 Switch and USB Print Server - NETGEAR.com

I am confused tho. He wants to consolidate the "wire mess" but somehow two wireless N routers and a wireless G router makes its way into the recommendation?
__________________
Phenom II 945 :: ASUS M4A78-E (780G) :: BFG 285GTX :: 4GB Mushkin DDR2 (5-4-4-12) :: Creative Xi-Fi :: Seagate 500 gig 7200.12 (better than WD BLACK!!!!!) :: Samsung 2493HM
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old April 29, 2009, 08:08 AM
JD's Avatar
JD JD is offline
Moderator
F@H
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Toronto, ON
Posts: 6,951

My System Specs

Default

There's this 2Wire one everybody on DSL Reports recommends. Though it's only 802.11G.

And if the printer is already wireless, why does he need a USB port on the router? Just set it up so it connects to the WiFi...
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old April 29, 2009, 08:43 AM
dataxpert's Avatar
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Chertsey , 60km north of Montreal
Posts: 366
Default

I hope they don't talk about the one Bell provide...... My customer have so much problem with this one, and Vista ( and no itís not Vista to blame ) and I have to go fix it , after they argue 3 days with Bell ( let say representative...... ) But probably if you get a 2wire without the $^%$%^#%# proprietary firmware of Bell , will work fine , good fortune I still have my 2 old speedstream modem than I can plug on my Cisco RV082 . so bye bye the Bell Firmware

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdrom17 View Post


There's this 2Wire one everybody on DSL Reports recommends. Though it's only 802.11G.

......
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old April 29, 2009, 03:33 PM
JD's Avatar
JD JD is offline
Moderator
F@H
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Toronto, ON
Posts: 6,951

My System Specs

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dataxpert View Post
I hope they don't talk about the one Bell provide...... My customer have so much problem with this one, and Vista ( and no itís not Vista to blame ) and I have to go fix it , after they argue 3 days with Bell ( let say representative...... ) But probably if you get a 2wire without the $^%$%^#%# proprietary firmware of Bell , will work fine , good fortune I still have my 2 old speedstream modem than I can plug on my Cisco RV082 . so bye bye the Bell Firmware
Pretty sure it's not the same one Bell ships out, and I believe they are "unlocked" ones so to speak.
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old April 29, 2009, 04:07 PM
dataxpert's Avatar
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Chertsey , 60km north of Montreal
Posts: 366
Default

I think you are right , because they will not speak well about them..... I don't know why everything Bell touch turn bad.


Quote:
Originally Posted by jdrom17 View Post
Pretty sure it's not the same one Bell ships out, and I believe they are "unlocked" ones so to speak.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
[WTB] modem/router omgwtf Buy/Sell & Trade 1 April 20, 2009 03:48 PM
Wireless Router no_pulse Networking 14 January 6, 2009 11:41 PM
Need help choosing a wireless router. Lima Networking 10 July 14, 2008 08:09 PM
router/wireless problems Infiniti Troubleshooting 2 February 19, 2008 01:12 PM
Wireless router, G vs. N Matty D Networking 5 January 9, 2008 11:01 PM