Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > Networking

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old April 28, 2009, 09:05 AM
Top Prospect

Default combined wireless router w/ADSL modem

hey guys, I'm wondering if there are any good wireless router/ADSL modem combo's out there? customer of mine wants to simplify his wires and equipment. if it has printer server on it, that would be great as well as he wants to connect a wireless laser printer to it too. probably two routers with N capability and one with G, so if it can do both simultaneously, great, if not, oh well, he'll deal with that.
Old April 29, 2009, 12:29 AM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

if it's a customer here is my first piece of advice... ask them what their budget is and work backwards from there.

Netgear makes a good appliance, no built in ADSL modem so you'll have to use that separately. FWG114P - ProSafe? 802.11g Wireless Firewall w/4 Port 10/ 100 Switch and USB Print Server - NETGEAR.com

I am confused tho. He wants to consolidate the "wire mess" but somehow two wireless N routers and a wireless G router makes its way into the recommendation?
Old April 29, 2009, 08:08 AM
F@H

My System Specs

There's this 2Wire one everybody on DSL Reports recommends. Though it's only 802.11G.

And if the printer is already wireless, why does he need a USB port on the router? Just set it up so it connects to the WiFi...
Old April 29, 2009, 08:43 AM
Banned

I hope they don't talk about the one Bell provide...... My customer have so much problem with this one, and Vista ( and no itís not Vista to blame ) and I have to go fix it , after they argue 3 days with Bell ( let say representative...... ) But probably if you get a 2wire without the $^%$%^#%# proprietary firmware of Bell , will work fine , good fortune I still have my 2 old speedstream modem than I can plug on my Cisco RV082 . so bye bye the Bell Firmware

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdrom17 View Post

There's this 2Wire one everybody on DSL Reports recommends. Though it's only 802.11G.

Old April 29, 2009, 03:33 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by dataxpert View Post
I hope they don't talk about the one Bell provide...... My customer have so much problem with this one, and Vista ( and no itís not Vista to blame ) and I have to go fix it , after they argue 3 days with Bell ( let say representative...... ) But probably if you get a 2wire without the $^%$%^#%# proprietary firmware of Bell , will work fine , good fortune I still have my 2 old speedstream modem than I can plug on my Cisco RV082 . so bye bye the Bell Firmware
Pretty sure it's not the same one Bell ships out, and I believe they are "unlocked" ones so to speak.
Old April 29, 2009, 04:07 PM
Banned

I think you are right , because they will not speak well about them..... I don't know why everything Bell touch turn bad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdrom17 View Post
Pretty sure it's not the same one Bell ships out, and I believe they are "unlocked" ones so to speak.