Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   Networking (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/networking/)
-   -   Rogers and torrents (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/networking/17025-rogers-torrents.html)

Sameer April 19, 2009 09:29 AM

Rogers and torrents

Hey All,

I found out a LONG time ago that Rogers was going to throttle torrent files and I remember being upset about it, but it wasn't as bad as I expected. I remember downloading torrents at about 600k and thinking, hey, this isn't so bad. I can live with this.

Well, over the years, it seems that they just kept throttling and now the speeds seem ridiculous! I have rogers extreme and I download from the web (say ATIs website) at about 1.21mb/s. However, my maximum speed on any torrent file seems to be about 50kb/s and about 20kb/s on average.

So, I called Rogers and they insist that it's my settings at home. I've tried everything and I still seem to get these shitty speeds. I've compared with a friend and while he's getting 643kb/s, I'm getting 45kb/s!? They told me, they don't support torrent, so they can't tell me what's wrong, but they insist again that it's my computer/settings!

Basically, I'm wondering if anyone out there with Rogers in the Toronto area (I'm at DVP and Wynford) is getting good speeds with torrents. If so, what client are you using and have you done anything special?

I've tried plugging straight into the modem and I'm still getting shitty speeds. I've tried BitComet, Vuze and uTorrent. Any help here is appreciated. Thanks as always...

MpG April 19, 2009 10:26 AM

I'm just over in Kitchener, which may not have the exact same rules, but what little torrenting I do, I find it's very dependent on time of day. Some times of the day, I'm stuck in the 40-50k range, while other times, I can crack 600-700kb over my wireless router. Encryption seems to help sometimes, although I don't download enough to say this with certainty.

gingerbee April 19, 2009 10:51 AM

on rogers extreme too my friend and i can get well in the mb sometimes (very fast downloads):thumb:

geokilla April 19, 2009 10:55 AM

I live at North York (404 and Steeles) and I get great speeds, just like before when I was at Scarborough, border line Pickering. I've always been on Rogers Express and my speeds are more or less the same as before. On popular torrents like Bleach, Naruto, etc. I could go up to 700KB/s.

Use Xunlei to download. It's very good and fast. It's a Chinese program so you'll need to google up a language pack, or I can provide one for you if you want. Xunlei is a program for BT, eMule, and DDL. Basically, an all in one download program.

Perineum April 19, 2009 11:29 AM

What you get for speeds has to do with a lot of factors....

If you join a swarm and there are 20 seeders and 100 leechers but all those leechers are at 80%+ you are going to get really damn good speed downloading until you catch up with everyone.

I know in Vuze there is a header you can add called "swarm average speed". Enable that header and you may find that the average swarm speed is 50K... which means you'll probably never get above 100K.

Now if your friend and you both start a torrent at the same time and he's waxing you then that's a different story. Maybe you need the tcp patch....

Sameer April 19, 2009 12:09 PM

MpG:

For me, time of day doesn't seem to matter much.

Gingerbee:

What program do you use and are you in the GTA? Are these speeds you are getting constant?

Geokilla:

I will try that to see if it helps, but I don't think it'll be different from uTorrent/Vuze.

Perineum:

I can see the swarm avg and it's WAYYY over mine. We both started the torrent at the same time and he was smoking me. We tried 12 different torrents with different settings and pretty much the same results each time.

enaberif April 19, 2009 12:29 PM

Glasnost: Test if your ISP is manipulating BitTorrent traffic

gingerbee April 19, 2009 12:32 PM

when i was in toronto i got the same that i do hear in orillia and utorrent 1.8

Sameer April 20, 2009 05:06 PM

Most of my results from Glasnost were red :(...

That is an awesome site though. Thanks.

lcdguy April 21, 2009 08:47 PM

i love my ISP. Green across the board. :biggrin: