Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > Networking

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old April 18, 2009, 08:50 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by enaberif View Post
how about stop using a crappy client and use something like utorrent?
Pretty offtopic if you ask me...

I don't give a damn about what hes using to download stuff, I want it to stop destroying my network by lowering the impact on it.

Torrents are all crap IMO.
Old April 18, 2009, 08:50 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamb View Post
Pretty offtopic if you ask me...

I don't give a damn about what hes using to download stuff, I want it to stop destroying my network by lowering the impact on it.
Off topic?

Perhaps if they used a quality client they could control this better?

Hmm what a thought huh!
Old April 18, 2009, 08:57 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by enaberif View Post
Off topic?

Perhaps if they used a quality client they could control this better?

Hmm what a thought huh!
Like my bro would see a difference from one client to another...

Utorrent will probably have the same shitty impact on the network as any other client.
Old April 18, 2009, 08:57 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamb View Post
Like my bro would see a difference from one client to another...

Utorrent will probably have the same shitty impact on the network as any other client.
uTorrent has much better control of data flow than any other client I've used.

But whatever.
Old April 19, 2009, 12:07 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Utorrent is WAY nicer to work with then any other client ive used, besides that its TINY. Bit torrent is a little weighted and I always get much faster connections through utorrent... And like Enaberif said much better control over the flow of data..

Not quite sure how you figure enaberif was offtopic with his post, he was offering a better way for your brother to stream his files while you have control over the bandwidth limits Utorrent you litteraly just right click on the icon in the task bar and goto download limit and set it to whatever... same with upload speed, I bet you anything its not the download speed thats hurting you but the un controlled upload. With anything over 256kb DSL ive never had a problem with torents taking to much downstream bandwidth but rather the smaller amount of upstream bandwidth being funneled into into the torrent client >.< your lag in games is the speed it takes you to send packets from your PC to the server and back, 100kbs free downstream and 5kbs free upstream means you get files fast enough but your not losing all that speed trying to send the packets in the first place.

Anyways thats just my 2 cents. Dunno why your bro doesnt just leave his torrents on while he sleeps so you can play during the day...

BF BC2: Bishop_SHIFT, Steam: Realityshift84, Xbox Live - SHIFTEDone84 ... Come play.
Old April 19, 2009, 03:10 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

That I don't know...his PC his super silent (P182), with everything at stock speed and stock coolers.

I thought it was offtopic because I don't know sh*t about torrents (I download almost nothing besides game I buy on D2D and such...), I probably misunderstood the comment actually (I was kinda pissed off last night also )

I'll see what I can do for him to use Utorrent if it's so much better... (Well...he was quite easy to convince!)

Last edited by Lamb; April 19, 2009 at 03:19 PM.
Old April 19, 2009, 04:09 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Tell him torrents are only for sleepy time ;) I know how you feel when it comes to peoples downloading habits messing up your gaming >.< it sucks! My old room mate used to just leave his upstream @ unlimited so we'd be paying $102 a month for shaw extreme and id be getting 2000+ latency on WoW... Very annoying...

BF BC2: Bishop_SHIFT, Steam: Realityshift84, Xbox Live - SHIFTEDone84 ... Come play.
Old April 19, 2009, 04:28 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

If it's WoW he's slowing down, your friend is doing you a favor.
Old April 19, 2009, 04:36 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Ya WoW with bad latency is horrible :(

The thing is that it's not only slowing my games, even firefox is slow as $%# :(
Old April 24, 2009, 10:45 AM
Rookie

My System Specs

Flash DD-WRT on your router (it's supported) and try the QOS settings there.

Flash the mini version first, then the standard version.

Mini: ftp://ftp.dd-wrt.com/others/eko/V24_..._NEWD_mini.bin

Standard: ftp://ftp.dd-wrt.com/others/eko/V24_...5_NEWD_std.bin